bike rack on trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Boss

Reaction score
got a question, and you guys are all knowing. so i come here. haha. i've got a bike, that i need to transport occassionally, and i'm looking for a rack that would fit in the bed, not on the tailgate. i have a factory tonneau cover that i use most of the time, so i'm not sure how that works. but anyways, let me know what ya'll have. if you have pics too, that would be amazing. as always, thanks so much.

-m

ahhh, so i hate it when people post stuff on here and realize the answer is right in front of their faces. well, i guess i'm just stupid. haha. yeah, i see it on there. thanks. if anyone has any other things they have done, i'm still interested. thanks.

-m

Here's my rack. I bolted a set of Thule artificial rain gutters in place of the cleats on the side of the bed. The rack uses the high gutter-mount feet and the 65" load bars.

[Broken External Image]:

Here is my No-Mod bike rack.

I used a Thule Rack I had from my Ranger and Hearse.

Modified the Feet of the Rack to hook to the Cleats on the ST.

[Broken External Image]:

Hope this helps a little. there are a few different projects on the site. Mine is just one of a few.

hey sal, can you take that on and off fairly easily? or is it permanent or really hard to take off?

Q - My trac is lifted and I really don't want to have to lift a muddy mountian bike onto the roof. With the gutter mount feet, I can remove the rack in under 5 minutes if I need to use the full bed.

If you have a hitch, get a hitch mounted rack. If you don't have a hitch, get one. Every truck should have a hitch...them's the rules.

Yep, it's tough for me to comprehend a man being a wimp. Don't want to get that bike dirty. You might sling some mudd off the tires on to your pink shirt.

BTW, Todd and Sal. Those are EXCELLENT ideas for the bike mount. I don't want to mount the bikes on the roof, mainly because it's a PITA.

Todd, did you have to drill through or modify the Thule mounts? Or did the mounts line up well enough with the exsisting holes on your ST?

As far as "Muddy mountain bike" goes, mine has been muddy a total of 0 times since I've owned it over 3 years.

That's where we differ. I use my MTB for its intended purpose, and it does tend to get dirty. It's been pretty dry though, so there hasn't been much mud out there. There's a lot of good riding around here, and the local club is building more trails each year.

Yep. I'm way too weak. That's why I have a MAN whose not a WIMP. I also have a bed on my ST that I just throw my bikes in currently. I'm not afraid to get anything dirty - unlike some people.

yeah, believe it or not people rarely get their mountain bikes muddy. Shocking isn't it. And I bet even fewer have mountains to rdie them on. I know, it's hard for you to comprehend

Q,

Visit me sometime. I have a full suspension GT that I use for single track downhilling - rain or shine. It's a blast hitting mud at full speed. And, with downhilling, you don't pedal uphill... :D (Not really true, but you never travel up the mountain the same way you travel down it...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats wrong with putting it in the bed of the truck and using tie downs from the handlebars? It doesn't look as cool or make a, "I'm a real man because I put my bike on the roof." , statement, but it works great. Now if you have a buncha stuff...that's different. I guess I'm too cheap to buy all that stuff. That being said...Anybody got a roof rack to sell cheap?

Dwain :eek:

Ol'yeller - I've got the OEM hard tonneau, and it's a pain to take it off by myself. Putting the rack over the bed is just more convenient for me. My brother owns a bicycle shop, so I ordered the parts through him.

M Jones, the rack comes off easier then if it was on the roof. the Knobs lock & un-lock. and then loosen to get off.

bikes go on and off a lot easier then if on the roof.

thanks guys. i really like the over the bed look, and it will be easier than getting it off the roof. i think Q is the only one here who thinks that real men/women put it on the roof. haha.

I like the bed mounts, very practable. If I need to access the bed, there is a thing called the "tail gate" that oppens from the back. You can then slide stuff in the bed that way.

I have a roof mounted bike rack and it works well, but sometimes it can be a PITA to access. Having the bikes on the roof hinders my use of the moon roof since dirt and dust can enter my vehicle through the roof. It is also noisy with the roof open and the bikes on the roof.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator: