Bike Rack question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Galvin

Reaction score
Hi everybody. Just wanted to thank you all for your comments and suggestions regarding my bike rack question. However, I probably wasn't that specific in explaning my problem. I will be taking my bike to the Outer Banks this summer for vacation. Since my mother-in-law will be joining us, my storage space is limited. Therefore, the cab and bed will be packed with an assorted of beach/summer vacation essentials. So, the only option I have to transport my bike will be the roof rack or the top of the tonneau cover (I don't have a hitch and have no plans to get one). I love my mother-in-law but those long afternoon bike rides are critical during a two week vacation. I need to bring my bike! Any thoughts?

Thanks again, Jim

Did you do a 'Search' on this Forum using 'Bike Rack' in the 'Titles' and 'All Posts'? Or the Projrects Forum using 'Bike Rack'? There are two in the Projects for above the tonneau cover and at least three in the regular forum.

The Search is a great help if people have meaningful titles.

Do you have factory cross bars?? If so you can get a Yakima or Thule rack fairly cheap. If you don't have the cross bars, then you will be spending more for a rack. I have a Yakima rack that I had on mu '01 and will be putting it on my '07. Total for the entire rack was around 400 bucks. That was for 2 bikes. The kind Ihave you need to remove the front wheels and fasten the bike to it, and the back wheel is hed in by a strap. It all depends on what exactly you want. Yakima and Thule prices are the same wherever you look. Internet and retail brick and mortar stores are about the same....

Jim,

I was down in the OBX last month. Couldn't have asked for a better vacation. We took the bikes down with us (4 bike hitch mount) too. If you go into the projext and then click on cargo bed there are a number of good projects for what you're looking for.

Click on my photo folder for a different tonneau idea. You can still open the tonneau lid with bikes loaded. I've travelled thousands of miles with one or two bikes loaded and never a problem. I've put down 3M clear bra material and use cut heater hose where the clips mount, and the rack system never touches the paint. I remove it in the winter when I don't ride that much, and no marks anywhere.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts