black wheels/rims

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Ziadie

Reaction score
all right guys. i need some help. i've got an '02 ST in yellow and i'm looking to put some black rims on it. i notice a lot of you guys have the black steel rims by Cragar or something similar and I've been looking at those. but Pro Comp also sells wheels that look just like those except they are cast alloy. i've got pictures off both below. can someone please tell me the difference other than the cost? why have so many of you gone with the steel? looking at the pictures they seem very similar. but the salesman on the phone said in person you can tell the difference between an alloy and a steel rim. what the pro's and con's? and just so you all know, I got a quote on the Cragar's for $261 and the Pro Comp alloy's were $476. is the price difference worth it??

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

here's a bigger picture of both rims. hope this helps better.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

its totally up to you but i would go for the procomps... the cragars are so over done and plain.... it is a plain looking rim to start with but at least the pro comps seem to have more character.

The ProComp Series 97 is a steel rim that looks much like the Cragar.

[Broken External Image]:

They have five to eight welds between the center and outer. Many rims have one continuous weld that can cause the center and outer to separate if the weld is cracked (because the crack follows the weld line). With several welds, if a weld line is cracked, there is a high probability that the crack will not migrate to the other welds and the rim will remain in one piece (yes, it is toast, but you may get home).

They have standard sizes, but will custom make any rim size and backspace (or offset) that is structurally safe. I had 17x8 with 3.5" backspace made.

Mine were about $98.00 each. www.4wheelparts.com has a buy three got the forth for free deal going for many sizes (not custom sizes, though).

As for alloy v. steel, I typically go with steel for any vehicle that I use off road. My reason is that when an alloy rim is damaged, they typically crack, lose integrity and go flat. Steel tends to bend and often retain integrity (again, the rim is toast, but you may get home).

Latest posts