Blinded by my '07

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark inLA

Reaction score
Does anyone else have problems with the chrome ring behind the steering wheel blinding you when the sun hits it at certain times of the day? It also reflects into the windshield and is distracting during other times of the day. Who is the design moron who thought that this would be a good idea??

I know this is not the right answer, But can you tint the side windows to help it out, or is the light coming in through the windshield ??

Todd Z

The light is coming through the windshield, not the side windows. It happens when the sun is directly overhead or in the early afternoon, depending on what direction you drive. I have to adjust the steering wheel so the upper portion is directly in front of the chrome ring, but it's lower than I prefer (my keys dangle on my leg), and I can still see it in the reflection in the windshield.

What about a dash mat? That might lay right up on that area you are having an issue with so the light doesn't blind you. Just a thought. ;)

I notice the reflection in the windshield right away, my first thought was what moron could have made such a fundamental design mistake. Now I don't notice it so much, honestly, I think it's an example of how your brain can adapt and train your eye to ignore it.

LOL...get some sunglasses with polarized lenses. I am amazed why I didn't buy some sooner. They remove virtually all glare and reflection.

Scott, I think you hit on the solution. Now I can justify those $300 sunglasses I've been drooling over....

Hey, get some $300 sunglasses and you won't lose em. I used to buy the cheap sunglasses, but I'd always break or lose them. Got a pair of Oakleys and I've had them 3 years now.

The Oakleys I just bought a few months ago replaced a pair of Killer Loop sunglasses I had for almost 5 years.

And don't put your sunglasses on the golf cart seat while drinking....you will sit on them no matter the price.

I have to agree with dcpmark. Mid day with the sun high the sun reflects off of the gauge bezel and the left and right AC vents. It is quite annoying. It is hard to drive with m eyes closed!

I have contemplated painting them mat black. I currently have black vinyl trim tape on them to tone it down some. The tape is glossy (and not that attractive) but it is better than chrome.

i have not noticed it on my 07. i have made 2 trips to the sunshine state and had no problems.

maybe, i am getting old and my vision is failing !

now that you mentioned it i will try to see if i notice

I've noticed that the shorter the driver, the more they're affected. I'm not affected by it at all, since my hair touches the roof.

It bothers me on my 07 also. The only b--ch I have about the vehicle. I drive with my seat in the top elevated position, my hair just about on the headliner. I think Ford ought to fix it wiith a recall.:angry:

I guess I am the right height and have a good seat position. The shine off of the trim has never bothered me. of course, maybe I don't notice it b/c of the sunglasses I have mentioned above. I will say, I am not happy there isn't the tint across the top of the windshield. I will be getting the tint on the windshiled done as well as the front doors as referred to in another thread tonight.