Blinking overdrive idiot light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone !

Got a strange one for all of you to comment on. The other day while driving home I noticed

that the overdrive indicator idiot light on the instrument cluster was blinking. When I

depressed the OD button on the end of the shift handle, the transmission would not alter

the gear. Normally, it would drop out of OD. This continued for about 10 minutes until I got

home. The next day, I used the truck and this problem did not occur again. I have had the

ST out three more times since this happened and I haven't seen it act up again.

Any ideas of what the "blinking light" is trying to tell me? I would normally just take it to my

Ford dealer, but I have lost faith in their ability to properly diagnose and fix "left of center type

problems".

I'm worried what will happen if I keep driving her. BTW, this is a 2001 4x4 ST.

Thanks,

Steve:unsure:

Most here consider it the blinking light of death. Have the dealer do a check for the cause, at least get it on record that the problem existed.

Folks who have ignored the light have usually had an expensive repair in their future.

If it's the solenoid, I understand a few hundred. A full transmission overhaul from the dealer is something close to $3000 by the time you drive out. ouch.

Other sources should be less expensive. I first read the ST to be newer, but since you are not under warranty, I would try a local transmission shop that's been recommended to be honest.

Good luck

I had the blinking OD light once for like 30secs if that....about 2yrs ago haven't had it since and transmission is doing great as far as I can feel.

it's still worth checking out, I think. I had mine blinking at 14,000 miles... and turns out the EPC Solenoid was bad and had to be replaced. would have been abour $450 if not under warranty, I believe. Anyway, better safe than sorry.

The O/D light of death is a serious issue. It usually has to do with the transmission and you may be able to get out of it by paying only a few hundred dollars for a solenoid, but this needs to be handled as soon as possible to avoid more damage. A complete transmission rebuild is, like previously posted, close to $3000. However, if you take it in soon, you may be able to avoid this predicament.

My ST has not done this, but I am curious whether anyone knows whether or not this solenoid would be covered under Ford's ESP 6yr/65k warranty if it did happen?

Do you have a rough shifting problem between 2nd & 3rd gear to go along with that flashing O/D light? If so, read on...

I just had the 'blinking O/D light of death'... Cost me $952.46! Valve body solenoid, a couple of gaskets, a screen, and labor. And Wade told me that I brought it in to him in the nick of time! I was not far from having to have the tranny rebuilt. $3500. The solenoid valve body gasket goes bad, and parts of it start traveling around your transmission. When those gasket parts get to the gears, rebuild time! So waste NO TIME getting it into the dealer to have it checked out. I had the problem on Wednesday, then again on Friday. I took it to Ford on Friday, got it in on Monday morning. And that was almost too long...

And Tig, the FIRST thing Wade asked..."How many miles? And do you have any extended warranties?" So my <b>GUESS</b> is that it would be covered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tig-o-bit: It's covered. Just got mine back today for exactly that thing. I have the 3yr/75,000 ESP, but they're all the same. Drive train problems are covered.