Blinking Overdrive Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 2001 ST tranny has intermittently begun to lag or delay between 1st and 2nd. During the delay of shift, the engine revs up to about 4,000 rpm. Also, after getting my tranny serviced at the dealer, my overdrive light started blinking. It went out after shutting off and restarting the engine but will come back every couple of months. The dealer was not able to find any problems with it. I wonder if my blinking OD light and lagging tranny have anything in common. I'm guessing yes!

Chuck

I've heard that the blinking OD light is cause of the transmission and I've heard stories of people getting it and days later there transmission hits the bucket...it happened to me once for maybe 15secs than went away....that was 20K miles ago and my transmission is still going. Some say its a valve you can change or maybe it was a seloniod or something don't remember it (sorry its 2am). Try a search.

YES, That is the blinking light of death.....

If driven for a while the tranny will self destruct....

There are several fixes for the 01, New valve body's and gaskets and new valve assembles and solenoid packs as well...

There is an issue, the dealers do know about it and they know how to fix....

Todd Z

Same as Ions above. Blinked for about 10 sec. That was a year and 15,000 miles ago. I have replaced the tranny fluid since then and it seems to be fine.

The Hawk:cool:

I got the blinking OD light. And the "flare" while shifting.

Changed tranny fluid, and filter.

Bumped up the EPC pressure.

OD light stopped.

About 3 weeks after the service, the flare stopped.

That was almost 10K miles ago....no problems or symptoms since......

2001 at 90K miles.....

cheers,

yes

Fordpdated the valve body in 03 or 04 I think, and that fixed part of it.

But they refuse to turn up the EPC pressure a bit, and that would fix a great number of tracs out there with this issue.....

This may not help or may. This issue with the shiffting delay and OD light blinking it seems like no one has a fix all answer for it. 04 sportrac has been doing it since 2006. I took it in still under warranty and they fixed it (not so much). I was still having issues with it and they said (Ford) to give it time so the ECU can reset. The issue never went away and it's not that bad just annoying. A little hesitation from 1st to second but i've learned to deal with it. I have been driving it like this since 06 and it hasn't gotten any better but it hasn't got any worse. Most times I start out in 1st get up to 30 and shift it to drive. I have 69,000 miles on it and like they say i'm gonna drive it till the tranny falls out. So if anyone has the right answer for this, cool if not than hey atleast we know my truck has lasted 6 years with this issue.