Bought a 2008 E-350 last week and have questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kunkle

Reaction score
I bought the van from a local dealer as a Certified Pre-owned vehicle, 6 months old. The van doesn't have securilock(chip in the key) or factory keyless, but does have power windows and locks. Since the keys don't have chips can I change a module and add the factory keyless as if I ordered the vehicle with keyless. I am looking to be able to add one of the stick on keypads to the van and Torrie said that the keypad only works with the factory keyless.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the ignition on-off 8 times and see if the doors lock/unlock. My 2008 E-250 has remote locks but no chipped key.

My '05 188K miles, My '08 at 45 miles:D (now 83K)

9e9b9615c7ad2ce1416af08c3cec969c.jpg

I have an 08 E250, with the chipped keys. I don't think a keyless entry pad will work. I would have ordered one if it was an option. I hope I'm wrong because I sure would like one.

I believe LaRue has the same van. He'll prolly chime in sooner or later to give you a tip.

"Cause I sure don't know!!!!!!

The ford dealer tried the on/off sequence and the doors did not lock/unlock. They said it didn't have keyless from the factory. I also have the window stick and there is no keyless on it.

Gary D,

The stick-on keypad is recognized by the factory keyless and an additional keyfob.

Bob, so if I have the factory keyless already, I can add a stick on pad on the driver's door and it will work like a keyfob? I should have known, I did put a pad on my wife's Escape to work all the doors, but I thought it worked only because it was a factory option. Who knew, lol. I will getting one if that's the case. Thanks!

Gary D.

I have an 08 E150. It has a keyless remote and power everything. I added a stick-on key pad and it works like a charm. I have NO chip in my key either. I'm thinking yours won't work without the factory keyless. I programed the new keypad as if it were a new remote. Hope this helps ... The number pad is just below the word locksmith on the right door.

[Broken External Image]:

LaRue,

I have been conversing with a tech on www.justanswer.com. We verified that the keyless module/receiver exists up under the dash on the passenger side of the van. What engine, transmission, and options are on your vehicle.? I know you said you have keyless and no securilock.

I was told by the tech:

It is a little out of the norm and the dealer just sounds scared. I have done similar modifications to vehicles such as adding the keypad to the door. What needs to be done is as built data from and econoline needs downloaded. The dealer will have to do a little research to find a vin they can use to type onto the oasis part of the ford website to get the as built data.

Bob,

When you find something out, PLEASE let me know. My Father-in-Law has a motorhome on an E-450 Chassis. It has power windows and locks, but no keyless entry. it would be nice to add a keypad onto the door as a secondary way to unlock the doors if we decide to do something and not want to carry keys with us.

Tom

My '08 E250 has keyless and no securilock. Emailed you the VIN. Maybe between a couple of choices they can get it.

1. Saw my contact before the July 4th holiday. We couldn't find a way to zero out the existing VSM and give it the new HEX code that equals the new as-built date.

2. My contact tried getting info from Ford on how to reprogram a programmed VSM. No Luck.

3. July 4th Holiday happened. I went to Spain for word July 12-24th.

4. I spoke to my contact on the 26th. He said he hasn't found a way to clear the existing VSM. I told him to go ahead and buy a new module.

5. My contact is on vacation the 1st two weeks of August.

6. I await his return........

I was wondering what the outcome was after our conversation.... we'll wait with ya;)

You can buy all the stuff you need to do this from ford. They sell the keyless entry pad and the module and you should be able to wire it in. When I was pricing keyless for my trac I think it was about $300 for both of the parts I needed. You'll need the keyless entry pad and module. The securilock shouldn't have anything to do with this as it only controls being able to start the car ( to the best of my knowledge). Adding the keyless entry, would probably also allow you to add key fobs.

I don't think this is too difficult. I would suggest going to the dealer and speaking to a tech to verify what you want to do. They'll be a better resource than the parts department.

I am scheduled to meet with the technician Wednesday night to program a new VSM module with different as-built data. I'll keep you posted.

MY VAN NOW HAS KEYLESS! I got a new VSM installed tonight and the job including the part cost $250. We installed the VSM, it asked for my VIN, then we gave it a different as-built code that includes keyless, then reprogrammed the Tire Pressure Sensors and it is good to go.

Latest posts