Bought a G2! Need Suggestions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryRigour

Supporting Member
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
So I have owned a G1 '05 for about 4 years, and I have had a blast working on it. I have wanted to upgrade to a G2 before they are too hard to find, and a deal popped up that I could not pass!

To my surprise, it appears there are WAY less parts/mods for the G2 to pick from, which has been a bummer so far. Rather than searching the web for possible upgrades and improvements, I figured there isn't a better place to ask for suggestions and resources.

I honestly want to go all out on this rig, as my G1 has served me well on hunting and camping trips, as well as a fun hobby. Performance, proactive maintenance, aesthetics; I'm interested in all of it!

G2 2010 XLT - Red
4.0L
4x4
50,000 miles

So, what are your top suggestions? Any links?

I'm surprised I haven't heard of any ideas here! I guess I'll ask a more direct question:

What options are there for a Gen2 aftermarket shocks? I can't seem to find any compatible options that aren't OEM or lower quality

Its slow here, have to expect that, the Facebook Forums are more active.
Scale suspensions is the only adjustable Gen 2 shock... or oem or Monroe, or kyb.

"When you already own something close to perfection there isn't much left to do on it."

My mods are:

- Monroe struts (much better than OEM) that make the ride even better than when new;
- 1/4" plywood covered with automotive floor cloth cut to fit the entire back area to cover the gaps when the seats are folded down;
- Home-made bed extender;
- Custom winch bracket to hold an ATV winch that I use to help pull the dual sport motorcycle up a ramp into the bed;
- Rubber bed mat made for a G2 Sport Trac (purchased back when they were readily available);
- Neoprene seat cover for the driver's seat since I actually dislike leather seats, especially in hot weather, and sometimes am a bit muddy after a bike ride;
- Rain shield for power rear window so I can leave it open in the vent position in hot weather and not worry about rain getting in;
- Sealing the upper center brake light to keep water out of the headliner and subwoofer;
- Neoprene seals to the tailgate to keep dust off of my camping gear when I drive down long dirt roads (I have a factory bed cover);
- Yellow-top Optima battery.

The I spent less than $500 mod package that all my rides get.
IMG_20220207_111250.jpg

Headlights, bug guard, renewed plastics, blacked out rims, tinted front windows.

Couldnt squeeze shocks into the 500 budget.

I like those BlackedOutRims;
may just have to do that to my stock 2001 rims!

Any thoughts on expensive upgrades? Exhaust manifold, throttle body, cat-back exhaust, CAI, etc.
Best bang for the buck?
Don't waste money\time on a ColdAirIntake\CAI;
stock AirFilterBox already draws "Cold" air from in front of the Grille;
just use the largest\deepest filter that will fit in that factory Box.
The K&N & other versions are nicely chromed up & perhaps a boast amongst ignorant friends,
but will NOT magicly release extra power\acceleration out of the V6~4.0L~SOHC,
though they can magicly release a couple hundred bucks from your wallet!
Click here for more info.

2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.AirN_Filt.Box0_Ford.yL2u-9643-aa.GIF

Go with catback flowmaster 40, 18" wheels 12.5x33 Toyo AT3

I went with a Magnaflow catback setup on mine, sounds great and gave a slight kick in power.

Do you have a link by chance? Everywhere I have looked for a flow master says there is no matching model for the 2010 4.0L!

I have the 2010 XLT 4.0L and went to a muffler shop and had the Flowmaster 40 installed. Super inexpensive at $190 out the door coupled with a 3" chrome tip.

Any thoughts on expensive upgrades? Exhaust manifold, throttle body, cat-back exhaust, CAI, etc.
Best bang for the buck?
I'm selling a Zabteck throttle body. I can get it shipped out to you for $250. Super easy install, 8 to 12 hp and 2 to 3 mpg improvement over stock TB. Zabteck Performance - 07+ Throttle Bodies

PM me if you or anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 20220115_210835.jpg
    20220115_210835.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220115_210916.jpg
    20220115_210916.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220115_211426.jpg
    20220115_211426.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220115_211206.jpg
    20220115_211206.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 53
Highly recommend the throttle body projects. I did it on my Adrenalin.
Do you feel like you could notice a difference? And do you have any clue what the actual upgrade is?

I have heard about the TB upgrade many times, but I’m not sure if it is slightly bigger in diameter? More sensitive connection to the pedal? What is the actual difference from stock TB?

From what I understand and see is the inner diameter is larger and the plate that holds the butterfly flange is significantly thinner the screws are shortened, creating less interferance of air flow as it enters the TB. Found this pic on an other thread for comparison of stock vs Zabteck. The pics I posted earlier show the butterfly flange plate and screws.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 51
Monroe quick struts + truxxx suspension spacer (2.5 front, 2.0 rear)

Does this equate to ~3.5 front, 3.0 rear, or less? Is this too much?

I plan on getting btf UCA at the same time, I’m assuming they will ask how much of a lift I have

Latest posts