Brake fluid flush & brake questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard McAlister

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to change the rotors and pads on my '10 STA (47k miles). I've decided on Wagner ThermoQuiet pads, but not sure on the rotors. I'd like to find quality rotors that are black zinc or black powder coated. Also, I'd like to paint my calipers black, anybody use hi-temp black brush on paint (as in stove paint) to do this?

Any suggestions about the rotors or paint?

In prep for the work, I had my fluid flushed. Just for sake of curiosity, I took samples of the old fluid from master cylinder and a caliper to compare with the new fluid.

Thanks,

rmac

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Paid about $80 for the flush at a regional chain. Christian Brothers Auto - Keurig coffee, wi-fi, overstuffed leather chairs and detailed answers about procedures and techniques. Cost was about $40 over the cost of doing it myself (spec tools and fluid) - not bad for a once every five years job.

:driving:

Anybody have any input on the rotors?

I bought rabestos rotors and the hat and vents came black. Also bought new calipers and used the spray paint, matte black duplicolor caliper paint. I've already have the calipers painted, about 4 coats and will be installing all this weekend. The paint turned out great, although not the brush like you asked. I used tape for the bolt heads and pieces of plastic bags and tape to wrap the rubber boots and bleeder screws.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only replace rotors if damaged in some way. Otherwise I clean them up. With qaulity performance pads. My brakes are as good as when I used to replace rotors, each time. I do brake fluid flushings between brake jobs.

[Broken External Image]:

I'll chime in on this.

At 74k mi. my pedal got soft and I ended up having to replace the master cylinder. Up to that point I never flushed out the brake fluid. I don't know if that would have extended the life of the master cylinder or not. But the cost was so minimal for the rebuilt master I'm not complaining. Naturally everything was flushed when the cylinder was replaced. Old fluid was dark as shown above.

Rockauto has some brake rotors and pads on clearance right now for Gen 1 tracs.. So I took a gamble and ordered the "Ultra" brand slotted rotors. I think they were like $16 or $18 for each rotor. They are coated with something called "armor coat". It's sort of like a silver powder coat. They also had ceramic pads on clearance. I put everything in last weekend and braking is noticeably improved over stock rotors and semi-metallic pads. Especially if the rotors get wet, like in the snow we just had.

My rear rotors were not too bad off. But the new slotted rotors were so inexpensive I figured what the heck. The only downside is the shipping was around $54 for all the rotors. Despite this they were still a good deal.

The only thing I am wondering now is how long before I need to replace calipers.

Latest posts