brake light mystery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Kaye

1st gen V6 4x2
Supporting Member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
found my brake lights weren't working, all 3 of them, two rear and the one up high behind the cab.
Parking lights and turn signals are working fine. Reverse lights seem to be out too, not sure if that is related or something different.

Replaced bulbs at rear, wasn't that. Checked fuses 32 and 34, one for the rear and one for the light on the cab, wasn't that. Replaced the brake pedal switch/sensor, wasn't that. Looked inside the old switch and it appeared just fine, but I had the new one so tried anyway.

Other threads suggest the wiring harness under the steering wheel could be affected if the wheel is tilted/raised/lowered. My 2004 doesn't have a tilt for the steering wheel, it's not adjustable, so probably not that.

Now I'm at a loss. Is there any other fuse that might affect this ?
It seems the fuses change year to year - the fusebox schematic shows a 'brake pedal position switch' for 2000-1 but can't find it for my 2004.

Next step I suppose is to start trying to figure out the wiring, not sure if I have the capability to do that though.. the shame, I'll have to take it in to a shop.. anyone have a shop they like in Denver ?

Last edited:
just for completeness - there was a break/short in the wire going back through the chassis to the driver side light.

I took it to Pep Boys, they charged $50 for diagnosis and $73 for repair which I thought was fair.. would have taken me a long time to get that done.

good for you, and PEP BOYS. I also have a gremlin in my brake lights so it's nice to see how you made out.
Regrettably I do not think our PEP BOYS has the equipment to decipher wiring problems, in our little podunk town.

Latest posts