Brake Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
For the past couple days, I have been hearing a squeaking noise whenever I put on the brakes. It only does it when its really cold outside and when the truck sets for a couple hours. I took it to a brake shop yesterday and they said that the brakes looked fine, I still have over 1/2 the pad left and they told me that it could just be brake dust causing it, What do yall think the problem is?

Stock ford brake pads.... Many have had problems, some have not... I know my rear brakes do this every now and then. I ignore it. When the time comes, use a good name brand pad..

Todd Z

Eric, I use Performance Stop Ceramic pads (I thik that is the name of them) from Advanced Auto. Another thing you can try is getting some of the Brake pad lubricant from Advanced Auto. I put that on mine and it stopped the squeel. All you do is lubricate the back of the pad and all the contact points where the pad touches the caliper and the mount. Like I said, it worked pretty good until I had my tires replaced and I hit them with ALOT of high pressure water to get the protective stuff off the white lettering of the tires. At only like 97 cents a packet, it could be a cheap fix. If not, you aren't out a bunch of money.;)

Disc Brake squeal is caused by vibration of the brake pads. Brake dust is a cosmetic nusance but does not cause brake squeal.

Brake squeal on the Sport Trac is a very common problem associated primarily with the OEM brake pads. Most people have eliminated the problem by replacing the Ford OEM brake pads with quality aftermarket pads with carbon or ceramic friction material.

A lot of people have also encountered a lot of warped rotors, or at least symptoms of warped rotors. I am ov the opinion that both problems are caused by the Ford OEM brake pads. I believe that that friction material is building up on the rotors. When there is are small spots built up it causes the pads to stick and release which induces a vibration in the brake pads and where ever that pad contacts the caliper or caliper frame, it causes the metal on metal squeal. Lubricating the contact points can eliminate the squealing.

The real problem is that the build up of friction material on the rotors makes the rotor thicker in parts on different sides of the rotor causing the same symptoms as warped rotors. The use of slotted rotors eliminates this problem by scraping the pads clean and preventing the build up of friction material on the rotors.

It seems that as soon as the OEM pads are replaced with good ceramic or carbon pads and the rotors are replaced with slotted rotors, the problem of squealing and warped rotors disappears.

...Rich