brakes at 28,000 ????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Thompson

Reaction score
Anyone else had to replace the stock brakes at 28,000?? Took the truck in to the dealer for the finial free oil change I got when I bought the truck and he said the brakes were shot! they gave me a quote of 644.90 for new brakes and rotors all around, installed. I looked at the pads and they could be replaced but I would not go to the extreme that they are shot and I could die!

Maybe if I were a girl and had no knowledge possibly i would buy this crap.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

:eek: $644 is crazy and yes I replaced mine around 25000 and are due to be changed again at 74000. I had my rotors turned at a local auto parts store bothe front for 14 dollars and new pads were 69 dollars so tell you dealer to do some refiguring !!:blink::cool::)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealers for routine maintenance and repairs are usually a rip-off. There are usually ads in the Sunday sports pages from Midas, Monroe Muffler, Sears, for brakes for a lot less than that. I'd say the price is okay IF you need all new rotors but at 28,000 miles I doubt it. I just traded in my '05 today with 44,000 miles, it is very hilly where I live, and I never had to put brakes on it.

Now you see why they give you those "free" oil changes.

Get a second opinion or just wait until it needs a state inspection (unless the brakes are making noise) and take it somewhere else.

28K for front brakes are reasonable if you are heavy on the brakes. Premium pads can be done for less than $50 and rotors turned for about $20. This does not include labor since you can do the wrenching yourself.

I had the brakes replaced on mine under warranty at around 8000 miles because the calipers were sticking.

I had to replace my front pads, rotors and calipers around 30K (off warranty due since it was past 3 years) and that cost about $600, so yeah, it's happened before.

If they're charging you that much for just pads and turning the rotors though, they're ripping you off. Take it to a brake shop instead.

It's possible if you do alot of stop and go driving.

Maybe if I were a girl and had no knowledge possibly i would buy this crap.

:lol: I'm a girl and I would not buy that crap, that is way too much for that kind of work, you can go to a brake place and get a complete brake job for half that, maybe a couple of hundred less for sure.

Gotta watch the dealerships (not all dealerships) unfortunately, and yes they have tried to tell me things "I KNOW" is not true. I especially love it when I politely, make them check on FORD things like warranty and verbiage of the warranty. :lol::lol: OH and other vehicle related stuff.

One incident I had was, when My concern was the trac was using way too much fuel for driving just 100 miles one way (hafl tank) I'll never will forget having the service tech tell me there was nothing wrong with my milege.. and that as a vehicle gets older the miledge gets worse than new. (this was before he even had it looked into)

I insisted "it's a customer concern and I know my truck, and something is not right"

::::::: HINT HINT:::::: now read this carefully guys (They Have TO ADDRESS THE CUSTOMER'S CONCERN that wording is important "customers concern") They found a problem with the one of the fuel sensors. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Service people who take advantage of women and older people (as well as men) make me sick. They are some of the lowest of the low, and I would support beating them with a ball bat for their sins.

Because of folks like them, as well as pedophiles, rapists, etc., I have a very strong faith that there is a HELL for these kind of people.

Gavin said:
Because of folks like them, as well as pedophiles, rapists, etc., I have a very strong faith that there is a HELL for these kind of people.

Not to hijack the thread, but...

Is that the same faith that says that if you accept Jesus as your personal savior, and acknowledge that he died for all our sins you can have everlasting life?

If it's that faith that you talk about then pedophiles and rapists can go to heaven as their sins are no more or less unforgiveable to Christ than yours or mine.

This concept is actually one of the most very troubling for me when I follow Christianity. Sometimes I think the Hindu faith and those that believe in karma have a more healthy perspective.

TJR

Not to hijack the thread, but...

You know you want to hijack this thread. Your disclaimer is only a formality to make yourself look like a nice guy.

Start a new thread about hell and who goes to hell...provided there is an actual hell...A place of eternal torment that can not be proven and you can NEVER learn from your mistakes and nobody can learn from yours. 80 years on earth as an imperfect human being that is a sinner from birth gets sent to hell to suffer for an eternity for sins made in only 80 years.

Start a thought proviking thread about it.

Tom

Caymen,

Good points Caymen.

Maybe we can start a thread about whether or not it is acceptable to hijack a thread once it has run it's original course doing so with a pleasantry and recognition that you are deviating from the original thread.

Our, we can let the threads go where they may. That seems to be what has happened in the past...it's organic, and much more interesting, IMHO.

But, if we must stay on topic now, in all topical threads (sans Off-Topic) then I think we will need some moderators to start deleting posts...and be careful who throws the first stone.

TJR

TJR,

You bring up an interesting point. When a topic veers off course on its own, I would consider the the normal evolution of communication. One talks about one thing, they get reminded of something else, etc. Soon we find ourselves from the original talk of a flat tire to little puppy dogs.

When you say "Not to hijack the thread, but...", this is you knowingly changing the direction of the conversation.

Start a new topic or avoid using the phrase of "Not to hijack the thread, but...". I really enjoy when a topic goes off into another direction.

I do not think this thread ran its course already before you tried to hijack this thread.

Tom

If it's that faith that you talk about then pedophiles and rapists can go to heaven as their sins are no more or less unforgivable to Christ than yours or mine.

In my own understanding, this would mean that there is no purpose for hell if everyone's sins are forgiven. If the above stated people can get to heaven just like a good person can, then hell would have no meaning.

I understand your point, but it doesn't make sense to live a God and hell fearing life, and when you die you find that the rapist and murderer you heard about on the news are in heaven right beside you. Then there would be no purpose to heaven either.

maybe there should be a mid thread change the catagory button ... catagory "thread HiJak!"

:D I am kidding.... I hijaked a thread the other day, but I admitted it up front and didn't apologize LOL ..I figured since Shaun was paging SST, I could also Page him on the same thread... LOL sorry again shaun! :);):D:)

OK I am off to another thread, since this one is turning into a religious and moral debate! :):unsure:

Mileage has little to do with it. It's how many times you have to stop. I only got 27k out of my oem front brake pads but they were crappy pads to begin with and 99% of my driving is in the city with a lot of stop and go traffic. Hard to believe you needed new rotors though. Mine didn't even need turning.

[Broken External Image]:

I have an '01 (about to be an '08!) and had to completely replace the brakes @ 32k (over $600-done at the dealership), and then again @ 60k, so at that time I went to Midas, and now I'm @ 120k and still in the green zone on brake wear.

Had Midas replace the factory brakes at 23000. 38000 miles later, had to replace the pads again, but it was close to double what the factor brakes lasted!

Latest posts