Brakes - how long should they last

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Travis

Reaction score
'03 with 38.5K miles

How long should factory brakes and rotors last for on a ST?

Yes, I know it part it revolves around the usage but I did not own the vehicle for the first 28K of it's life so I cannot answer.

Now let's talk price. I was quoted right around $400 to replace just the front brakes/rotors. Note: I am not a DIY'er when it comes to vehicles, especially brakes, I find they are a little too important for me to be dabbling in.

Qualified, constructional feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

JT#14

p.s. Qualified = have been through the process or am part of the process (i.e. mechanic)

p.p.s. I will attempt the changing of the third light they told me was out. I can put this up there as a project along with how to install an antenna topper and install floor mats.

Last edited by a moderator:
$400 is not necessarily a bad price to replace pads and rotors -- BUT, you may not (read "probably don't") need the rotors replaced. Saying that, replacement composite pads should run less than $80-90. The composite (ceramic, or ceramic/metal) pads aren't strictly necessary, but will give you a lot less brake dust on the rims. I don't have empirical data to prove it, but I think they stop better, too.

Well, I'm no mechanic either but I just had my brakes done last Friday.

I've got an '05 @ 23k, they replaced the front rotors because there was not enough left on the OE's to resurface and added ceramic pads. Had some other stuff done, full syn oil change, rotate & bal along with front end aligned for about $550.

Also said the rear rotors will probably need changing in about 10k, which undoubtly will cost more than the fronts.

Didn't figure on them getting this bad so soon.

D-

Note: I do trust this place (Firestone) and specifically the guy I was dealing with because I have had a lot of work done there over the last 5 years and am a Gold Card carrying member of the 'Firestone Club' or whatever it is.

With that said, I do believe him when he says the rotors need to be done.

They will price match though, so that is all I have to do is find a better price and I save $$.

Looking at my receipt it broke down like this:

Ceramic front brake pads - $119.57 ea.

Front brake rotors - $121.95 ea.

Standard Alignment - $54.99

Rotation & Balance - $19.99

Full syn. oil change - $ 37.99

Came close to $600. and that's not including the labor! I had discounts on everything so it totaled out to $553.85 Had a free brake inspection done elsewhere and was told that rotors and pads needed to be replaced. Would have let them do it, price was similar on parts, just didnot have the time.

D-

Wait? The front pads were $120 a piece? You can get a pair of ceramic pads for $50 at auto parts stores.

I would definitely see about buying the parts yourself and then having someone do it. The markup on parts at these shops is unreal.

Yeah, Jeff C your right, they were 119.57 total, had to go back and look at it again.

D-

WOW do it yourself and save a huge amount of cash. ST's are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to change rotors and pads. The hardest part is removing the wheel.

Changed my oem front pads (akebono ceramics) around 35K. Man what a difference. Rotors were fine. They didn't even need turning. Have around 50K now and getting ready to change rear brakes. Because they are drum and rear brakes, they don't wear near as much as front.

In my area houston burbs...those brake parts prices would include labor. That is still alittle high though....

Yeah! Midas has 'em starting at $89.95, semi metallics @ $99, and ceramic @ $109. Around here auto work is a lot higher than anywhere else I've lived.

Would like to have done them myself, but my complex does not allow ANY working on vehicles.

We're closing on a house the 20th, so I'm looking forward to doing stuff on my own, finally:)

D-

I get around 45K-50K miles per a set of brake pads. It does not appear to matter what vehicle it is, or who makes it, or even if my wife drives it more than I do.

Some people can get 70K miles or more and others only get about 25K miles and a few get even less. So there is no right answer anyone can tell you except you.

A lot of Sport Trac's have a problem with premature brake wear that I believe is caused by sticking brake calipers. Unfortunately, Ford and nearly all the other manufacturers consider Brakes a normal wear item after 12K miles.

...Rich

The Adrenalin must have come with improved brakes. My oem front pads were pure crap from day one. My Trac's braking ability improved drastically after I replaced the front pads.

[Broken External Image]:

ps: Mileage figures mean little if you don't know their typical driving habits. If a person does mostly highway driving then they can go many miles before needing new brakes. If you typically drive in heavy traffic like I do then you will need to change them at a much lower mileage.

The estimate they gave me stated -

Rotors (2) - 86.99/each - (Qualis brand I believe he said)

Pads - 49.99 (semi-metallic disc brake pads)

Labor - 153

Grease seal (2) - 10/each

http://www.qualisauto.com/

Travis,

That's about what a Ford dealership would charge for the same brake job.

There are other independent shops that do quality work for a lower price. So if you are looking for a lower price, shop around.

Also, I would recommend switching to Ceramic or Carbon metalic brake pads. You will get better braking power, longer brake pad life and not be plagued with squealing brakes. Better quality rotors are available at a cheaper price as well. You should be able to get that done for about $300-$350. If you did the work yourself you could cut that in half.

Remember that prices are somewhat regional. What it cost in Texas may be very different in NY city, San Francisco, CA or Blythsville, Arkansas

...Rich