Brakes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Davis

Reaction score
Is there a project written up for a rear brake job on a 2005 XLT 2x4? I did a quick search and didn't see one. Also the parts counter guy said there were two types of brake pads listed for the rear. Phenolic and not phenolic. I chose phenolic only because I had seen that word mentioned here in the forums a few times. Is this the correct pad? Looks like the difference is the size of piston in the caliper or something like that.

Thanks

You will know for sure when you take that caliper off, whether or not they are steel or phenolic pistons, see if a magnet sticks to the piston, if it does it is steel. Only way to know is to take the caliper off, my 04 has phenolic but yours may not.

I think '04 to '05 all have the phenolic.....

From what I have heard ford, started phasing the steel pistons out. In '03.

I could be wrong...

Thanks guys what about a project or instructions. Can anyone post a link? Also looks like I might need to turn or replace a rotor. Do they still turn rotors? Hoping someone has a link for instructions for the brake job and to remove a rotor.

/

If you can do disc brakes. Nothing to it.

If your rotors arent warped burnished from over heating, cracked or gouged. I would just clean them up with emory paper and brake clean wash.

Other than size. Same service involved. The rear has the e-brake inside the rotor top hat. Made like drum brakes. Most likely nonthing wrong in there. Unless you have driven with the e-brake on.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have done the fronts. The rears will be a cinch for you. Small differences, but not enough to confuse you.

I have done the fronts on my trac. Not the rears yet. As with any disc brake system. If you have done any. It is very visual. You will do ok....

Be sure to open the bleeders when pushing the piston in. Get the old fluid out. Make sure when pushing pistons in. They move easily. Also any metal to metal that slides. Use High temp brake grease. look at the anti rattleclips. If they appear worn or broken. Replace them. And clean the rotor faces good.

Someone is usually on the board to help. Im retired so when home. I check it several times a day.

When reusing rotors. I have one of these hones to clean the face up.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
One tip that I can give is to be sure that your parking brakes are off before trying to remove the rotors from the hub. Makes the job a lot easier to be sure. Forgot this tip the last time I did mine and I sure felt stupid when I could not figure out why I could not get the rotor off the hub!

Latest posts