Brakes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug K 2

Reaction score
When changing brake pads and rotors is it a bad idea to use a different brand of rotors in the front than the back? I bought the rear rotors and pads and waiting till I get my paycheck to buy the front. The front rotors jumped $20 a side. Would different rotors in the front cause any problems? Or should I just shell out the extra cash?

I wouldn't think front to rear difference would matter-but I only have drums for rear. Plus different brands should be similar diameter unless you need to make sure it's specific for rear and specific for front.

It should not matter if they are different brands as long as they are changed in pairs (both fronts, or both rears) It is not recommended that you only replace one rotor since that could cause an imbalance in the braking....not sure if ABS can compensate for that?

...Rich

Front rotors are always going to be more expensive than rears - they're beefier because they have to be - most of your braking is done by the fronts. Keep in mind that brake pads and rotors are designed to wear out; buy the best quality you can afford and you'll get good service. And don't forget to change your brake fluid too!

Last edited by a moderator:
At least open your bleeder screw with a hose on it when compressing the pistons and let it go into a container to get a bit of that old stuff out until you can do the full fluid change. Brake fluid attracts moisture out of the air and will eventually rust your brake lines from the inside out if not changed regularly among other problems. :driving:

Thanks guys. I just had my VA state inspection done and they said the brakes were close to the minimum. Passed the inspection and asked them if they saw anything with the brake lines but nothing there. I have had the truck since new in 2008 and I don't think the brake fluid has ever been changed. 87k on it now and this is the first brake change. Is bleeding the brakes a tough job or should I have my shop do it? I'm doing the pads and rotors myself.

If your doing the pads/rotors than bleed yourself and save the $. Not tough, I did it for the 1st time this yr. I read a lot and watched YouTube videos to get an idea. They say it's best with 2 ppl but I didn't have a helper and did the 1 person bleed method. Turkey Baster out the reservoir 1st then slowly add new fluid in tank. Check the tank after each bleed/time to make sure your not low-you don't want to go low.

Latest posts