Braking issues on cold start -

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Dziubina

Reaction score
every time i start the S/T in the morning up here in chilly New England i am having a weird brake issue. when i get rolling and just tap the brakes for the first couple times, the brakes just lock up, tires screech, the whole deal . i mean just a tap will do it. eventually it works it's way out and returns to normal. what's going on?i did a brake job about a month ago but didn't open any lines or anything. thanks for the help.

Mike

Normal for some kinds of brake pad/rotor combos... The rotors rust up at night, and your pads are grabbing the film on the rotors untill it gets burnished off. Is it right? no.... normal? perhaps...

First thing wrong is not opening the bleeders. Get the old contaminated fluid out. You dont want to push that old fluid backwards into the ABS controller.

I have the same problem though not as extreme. It started when the rotors were changed and not the pads. Must be some kind of mismatch. I just warm them up before I get to the end of my street! One day, I might change the pads.

Ed

I agree with Fast Eddie, You should not just push the pistons back into the calipers when changing brake pads, especially on vehicles with ABS. That just pushes the old contaminated fluid back up into the ABS servos and if you mess them up you are in for some expensive repairs.

I always recommend that you flush the brake fluid and refill with fresh fluid every 2-3 years or when every you do a brake job. The fluid is hydroscopic and will absorb moisture from the air while it is in the reservoir. The moisture will sink to the lowest part of the braking system (oil is lighter than water) and begins to corrode in the calipers and leads to sticking pistons and poor brake wear and poor brake performance.

If you open the bleed screw when you push the pistons back in, you can ususally push them back in by hand and I can actually feel if the piston is binding in the bore, indicating there may be corrosion in the caliper and the calipers need to be rebuilt or relaced. This is such a common problem that I just buy rebuilt calipers every time I replace brake pads.

If you go to someplace like Autozone that gives 50K mile or Lifetime warranties, you can continue to change the calipers with every brake job and never have to pay for new calipers again. I just take them in and tell them they are sticking and get new ones...No questions asked. I have been doing that since way back in the mid 1980's and I have done 4-5 brake jobs on some vehicles and never had to buy rebuilt calipers again. Some rebuilt calipers are only about $20 each and go up to about $60 each, but it is worth it if you like brakes that work.

...Rich