Brights Don't Work

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Poorman

Reaction score
When I bought my 2001 about a year ago we did not figure out the brights did not work until we got the truck home. We test drove it in the daylight and tested everything but the brights. Well living back in the sticks I hate coming home on back roads late at night without having brights anymore. I thought about adding off road lights on the roof but want to figure out my brights first. The low beams work perfect. When I push the lever forward to turn the brights on the low beams and fog lights turn off but the high beams do not come on. I have checked both bulbs with a voltmeter to make sure they are not just burnt out on the high beam side and both bulbs seem to be fine. Any thoughts before I buy a new multi-switch (I think that's what they call it)? Has anyone else had this problem? If so what fixed it? The dealer told me that the brights were not covered on their used car warranty even though they are supposed to cover electrical, they told me I could bring the truck back for a full refund if necessary (this was within a week of having it). I got into it with the service manager and so did my father and nothing ever happened.

The relay may be shot or the fuses....

try switching the relay with another one in the truck....

Try checking the fuses..

Todd Z

Try moving your tilt steering wheel up and down while trying your lights. Common problem on early Sport Trac's ...The wiring harness goes through the steering column and often does not have enough slack to allow the wheel to tilt without pulling on the wires and an inline connector that all the wires go through.

Since the headlights, tail lights, brake lights, horn, wipers, cruise, ignition, starter, (almost everything) goes throught the steering column you can get some rather bizzare, intermittant malfuctions of any of these items.

...Rich

Brandon,

If moving the steering wheel up and down does not show up as intermittent failure, you may have already broken a wire or connector in your steering column which renders your high beams permanently broken. If it is not a bad relay, you will need to pull the covers off the steering column and check the wiring harness and connectors for damage.

...Rich

I tried moving the steering wheel and it did not yield any results. The high beam indicator does not come on when the switch is moved. So, i guess i will remove the cover and check the wiring at the switch and connectors to make sure they are intact.

Latest posts