Broken caliper

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz 44

Reaction score
Well today I was tryin to replace my break pads, i broke my caliper. On one of the ceramic holes it chipped. can i put it back on my truck so i can drive to the nearest ford dealer to get it fixed??? anyone have suggestions on what to do besides the ford dealer cuz i am sure that is gonna be pricey...

I work at Advance Auto Parts and, although they probably won't have them in stock (I looked for myself) they can order the part and usually have it there in a day or two. Check out a local auto parts store.

i have tried calling a few of them but they cant get it in till end of this coming up week.... I need to go to work and now i have no way of getting there... is it really bad to drive with the caliper the way it is??

Do you mean the piston in the center, There are 2, one chipped a little, or a huge chunk came out....???

IF it is a little chip and it is not leaking, your probably fine and can drive it like that..

Todd Z

yea one of the pistons had about 1" chipped from it. I havent really driven my car around after I put the caliper back on except to make sure the brakes worked on a test drive up my street. I am gonna go out tomorrow hopefully and get it fixed..

You mean to tell me Autozone does not carry calipers for the Sport Trac.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I called all over the place and they have to order them... and wont get them in till thursday or friday.. and i need to get this fixed cuz i have work all next week and it is my only vehicle... you know of anywhere that might have them in stock???

Can you buy just the pistons and rebuild the caliper yourself? Rebuilding the caliper is simple to do.

Tom

As far as I know. I know you used to be able to. With these new auto parts stores, they might have quit selling them. Kinda like the old service stations. They used to check your oil, check the air in your tires, and fill you up. Now we pump our own gas. It is worth a try.

Another thing to think about is seeing how close Ranger or the 1996 to 2001 Explorer calipers are. I know they use the same brake pads. As far as I know, those that have did the Ranger Edge spindle swap used the Trac's calipers, but had to use Ranger rotors.

Might be worth a try.

If the caliper isn't leaking or anything, you might just as well order the calipers and wait for them to come in.

Tom

I was doing the same thing today...And the Phenolic piston was chunked out...45k miles and it is messed up...I manage an Oreillys. We nor did any other part store you can name either had but couldn't even get it...Only Ford dealer...Did a search and they have only 6 right front calipers for my 04 in the country!! Now you figure they have been making these since 01 that they might need a caliper at some point...

Now my question is...Do they make any kind of upgrade for these ie. metal pistion or something else instead of Duel Phenolic piston Calipers??

I am wondering if the Explorer Calipers will fit. I know the ranger calipers are steel. They might be a direct bolt on aplication.

Tom

Latest posts