Broken Fogs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Davis

Reaction score
I was told by Ford I most likely need a 'light switch control module' for my 2005 XLT. Said I probably have a blown diode. Where can I pick this up at the best price? Can anyone look up the part number for me as well? Thanks

Have you checked the fuses and relays ?

From what you say.It soundslike the dealer dont know.

I was told by Ford I most likely need a 'light switch control module'

Dont pay for parts swaping.

They told me there are two possible modules. The switch module and one located on the firewall. He said it was always the switch module that blows. I checked all fuses and relays myself. The tech wouldn't dig into it too much because of the mods I have done. Brights with fogs, extra fogs, GPS and radar all hard wired in.

I did the brights with fogs on my '04. I wonder if that caused the electrical problem?

Maybe some one with experiance can look at the project and give us an answer.

Yes it did cause the problem. I was working on my auxiliary fogs and like an idiot didn't disconnect the battery. I accidentally dropped the wire and shorted them out and because I have my aux's hooked up with my factories and then wired for brights with fogs I blew the diode in the switch. Or that's the best I figure it anyway.

I would say a junk yard 98-01 explorer. From what I found at least 90% of the the wiring modules and control devices are the same as the 2001-03 sport trac. I heard they changed a few control modules and things in 04 to more modern derivatives, but even then I bet they are really similar. So I would say with all the cash for clunkers in the junkyards I would try a pull the switch on the cheap and have some fun...:banana:

here is a diagram that I believe has your diode (this is for an 01 but I really doubt its any different)

[Broken External Image]:

The 1995,96,97 explorer's the Switch should work but the relays and control modules will be different. They changed many things in 96 w/ odbII and 98 with newer transmissions. You could make these years work for you but they would have to be adapted and would probably not be a direct bolt on.

-Don D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw on Ebay a guy offering the service of sending him the switch and he will replace the diode repairing the module. Do you guys think this is something I could do? I am a basic solderer and electronics tinkerer. Could I get this diode at Radio Shack?

buy one from radio shack and use alligator clips to try it out... However I know for an L.E.D. (light emitting diode) you have to put a resistor in line to keep the diode from pulling infinite current. And if I am reading the diagram correctly: under pin 6 of the fog light switch (diagram I posted) you see the diode (the arrow looking symbol) and what I believe to be a resistor (the squiggly line).

-Don D.

Latest posts