Bumper hitch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Hinebaugh

Reaction score
Anybody slap a ball in their bumper to tow with? Or is it a bad idea? Potential problems I see are that it increases chances of messing up truck when backing or turning due to trailer being about 4" closer to the back of the truck, and that maybe it's too high. Not to mention that you'd have that greasy ball sitting there. I just plan to tow small things like a small motorcycle trailer or maybe a large towable trencher or something along those lines, definitely won't exceed max of bumper, so I'd rather avoid getting a hitch at this time. There is lots of other stuff I could do with that $150 right now.

i wouldnt recommend towing anything heavy with just the ball on the bumper. It could pull the bbumper right off of the truck. Then you will be spending much more then 150.

I've had a ball on mine since I got it in 2001. Used for light loads it has served me well and yes be careful not to turn too much, I've got a small gauge in the plastic but no big deal.

Tim

Here's a link with answers to a question I had about towing with the bumper. Hope it helps. I put a cover on the ball.

[Broken External Image]:

Use the bumper hitch. Cover the ball or wipe it clean after use. When you hook up check your turning clearances and go. Drive carefully. With most trailers you'll have plenty space. The height of the ball shouldn't be too much trouble for the motorcycle trailer and it might even help with the trencher trailer. If it's your trailer, try putting a drop neck on it. Have fun and enjoy your Trac! :D

We towed a Ford Contour on a tow dolly with our bumper hitch. No problems. Don't get crazy on the accelerator or the brakes and you should be fine. I'll get a frame hitch if I tow anything larger.

i tow this off the bumper the only problem is on a tight turn the trailer will hit the bumper.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to keep in mind. Seems more than a few Tracs have come across the line with the bumper bolts not as tight as they should have been. Before you go to towing things around take five minutes out see if they are tight enough.

Can't hurt to double check....

The ball will break off before the bumper does. Weight limit is molded into the bumper but I forget right now what it is. I have a Hidden Hitch anyway. When I had my first Ranger I towed my jetski with the bumper ball, no problem. Ski, trailer, and a full tank of gas in it is about #1000.

I tried towing my boat with my E250 from the bumper hitch. When sharp turns were made backing up, the trailer ruined the bumper by making some dents in it. Go for the hitch. Gary D. in CT

Latest posts