C Wells 8" mounting question, spacer suggestions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Stewart

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my sub (RF 3408) to an Image Dynamics sub, mounting depth of 4.75 ... unfortunately the mounting depth of the C Wells enclosure is 3 13/16". Can I use a spacer and, if so, can some of you audiophiles suggest one or how to make one?

Thanks ... Ken

You are looking at a 1 inch increase in depth, but it’s not just that, you have to take into account the excursion (X-max) of the new driver. I don’t know if you have a speaker grill or if it is a grill-less installation but you should take that into account as well. You might be able to attain the depth of installation with a ring spacer but find out the excursion of the new driver might be hitting the grill or the OEM ST sub-cover.

You can make the spacer ring out of plywood with a jig-saw, using the new speaker as a template. Draw the outside diameter of the new driver, the new holes, then find a plate or circumference that will not interfere with the new driver’s rubber/foam surround for the inside diameter and you should be OK.

Thanks Pedro. I actually went by a custom audio place today and they'll do it for $15. Sounds good to me since I'd have to buy a router and materials and hope I get it right the first time ... seems like a good deal to have pros do it for $15.

BTW, I just bought an Image Dynamics ID8 8" sub to replace my Rockford Fosgate. I've been to diff audio forums and everyone speaks highly of these subs for SQ so can't wait to install it. I noticed your component speaker setup and I may go with that down the road (looking at Boston Acoustics, MB Quarts, or Diamond Audios). So far though, I'm happy with my polk full range speakers but getting that itch to upgrade my system w/higher end components. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts