Calling All Mechanics!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
For those who don't know my Tranny has been having a horrible 2-3 flare that Ford can't seem to fix. I am now on my 3rd Tranny and a fourth might be on the way!!!

This morning they called and gave me this as the final answer to my problems....

ALL my intake Mods (K&N FIPK, MAF, Breather By Pass) are to be removed and returned to the oem air box system... They claim this fixed the flare... AND (this is the kicker....) without these parts being returned to to stock they will not warrant the Tranny!

WTF?! I know of to many people running the same set up without this problem... how can they conclude that restricting the intake will in fact eliminate the flare????

Why I am calling all mechanics??? Because I need to know if this makes any ryhme or reason to you. because it sure as hell has me baffled. granted I'm no expert on automobiles but I smell a rat. Anyone have any insight or aid they can launch my way so I can combat this situation a little better????

Thank you in advance I am Greatly Appreciative!

Woppy,

DID you get a new tune for the C&L MAF???

With all your mods it may make the tranny shift funny.....

IT could be a simple tune fix....

Todd Z

WTF?! I know of to many people running the same set up without this problem... how can they conclude that restricting the intake will in fact eliminate the flare????

They are grasping at straws.

I see nothing that would say those items would cause the tranny to slip. It is not like anoy of those mods make your Trac a speed demon or add so much power that you have more than the tranny can handle.

Humor them. Swap everything out. When it still slips, let them know about it.

Tom

Yes. Bama Chips gave me an updated tune for the MAF. The bad shift occurred lightly with the tune and then Wildly when I returned it to stock. (but it didn't start flaring when I installed the new tune)

And if it is a simple tune fix then I am in an odd predicament...

If I go to Ford and take the Trac back 'as is' they won't warrant the current Tranny...

They want me to replace my intake back to OEM. Replace the MAF sensor. Recalibrate the PCM. for a grand total of $750.00 NOT going to happen.

Do you have all the old parts still?

Replace the MAF? Havent they already tried to pull that wool over your face once before?

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
THATS THE AMAZING PART TOM! ITS THE SAME FREAKING MOVE!

But if I don't they are going to eliminate my warranty...

and no i dont have my stock stuff anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an airbox you can borrow..

hopefully someone closer will chime in though since it takes 5 days for ground shipments coast to coast.

When I put my factory tune back in, the tranny has a fit. OD light flashes on, slips, all kinds of crap. Put the SCT tune in, and it's great. If you would like to borrow all the factory parts, I have them somewhere, I'm sure we could work something out.

Gary D.

Woppy,

What do you need. I have an air box somewhere around here. As for the MAF sensor, (this is going the piss Bill B off, but he can either put up or shut up) I did have one I could have sent but a fellow member named Ryan Eylander stole it from me.

Let me know.

Tom

Gary + Caymen + JD

I am going to tell ford to leave her be and park her outside. I am then going to ride over there after hours put the performance tune in and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted on if i need the parts though!

A Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law (from the FTC web site)

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

What the Magnuson-Moss Act Does Not Require

What the Magnuson-Moss Act Requires

What the Magnuson-Moss Act Does Not Allow

Disclaimer or Modification of Implied Warranties

"Tie-in-Sales" Provisions

Deceptive Warranty Terms

How the Magnuson-Moss Act May Affect Warranty

Disputes

Consumer Lawsuits

Alternatives to Consumer Lawsuits

From the SEMA web site:

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

If this is a new trans or factory rebuilt. The same problem keeps occuring. Have they even thought about the PCM might be the fault despite they dont get any codes??

I think they dont know what they are doing. Or they are getting bad rebuilts and ford wont back them up.

FYI for all members. This is one reason why I keep all my stock parts till the day I sell. I have learned my leason the hard way many years ago. Shops that cant fix it will always blame it on the consumer, when you have mods.

yeah they checked the pcm and claim it is fine.

and i am kicking myself for having thrown out the stock parts when I moved awhile back. :angry:

You can either go along with it and try to work with them, or else you can hire an attorney and then pay all the money to the attorney and still probably not get your truck fixed.

If it were me, I would return the truck to stock condition and then demand a replacement vehicle. You will have to pay an "offset", which is so much per mile for the use that you got out of the old truck, which is fair.

Face it, your truck is a lemon. Your dealer and Ford are clueless. Your truck will never be right. I don't care who is working on it, but that many disassemblies and reassemblies and work on it have worn out screw threads, messed up factory tolerances, an otherwised maligned your truck. It was never designed to be worked on that many times. Your truck is going to always have issues.

Get a replacement truck, or get it fixed and sell it now.

The frustration you have put up with and the continued frustration you will have with it is worth losing several thousand dollars to get rid of the truck.

Sorry, but some things are a losing proposition, and you are in one. Cut your losses the best you can, but GET OUT OF THE SITUATION.

Or, as an alternative to what Gavin says, you could put the truck back to stock, give them on last chance to fix, then (assuming you have all the proper documentation) open a lemon law case. One of the demands of the suit will be a replacement vehicle.

At the very least you will get cash out of the lawsuit. Then, use that as a down payment, on something NOT a Ford.

TJR

Hin to all those wanting to scream lemon.

His Trac is too old.

With that being said, I think the dealer is grasping at straws and may have found themselves in a situation that is no costing them money and they are going to have you repair something that doesn't need repaired to offset a mistake or something.

Return it back to stock with what you can (I have an airbox if you need it) and then let them try to still continue to play games.

Tom

years ago I bought a new GMC sonoma, 4.3 w/ the auto, the original tranny failed w/in 500 miles of purchase, the dealer installed 3 "new" tranny's, the last being a "blueprinted" tranny, detroit even flew a master technican down to install this tranny, yada yada yada, well, that blueprinted tranny lasted about 300 miles or so, got rid of the vehicle soon thereafter. I had a ford rebuilt tranny installed in my 02 ST, and the 1st replacement tranny slipped before I even got it back from the dealer. They ordered another one and it worked fine, good luck

Latest posts