Camber Kit ??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl beasley

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
Took my 2001 ST in for rotate and alignment. Was told Toe and Camber where way out of limits and required a "camber kit" installed. I had ball joints and tie rods replace 2010. Was told this is common. Is it?

Carl

They do wear out, but they're cheap. You can get a set of MOOG Caster Camber bolts for around $20 - $30. They're fairly easy to install. What's your alignment shop want to replace them?

I do my own work, so replacing the caster camber bolts is no big deal. I'd do it myself and then take it to get an alignment. Here I can get an alignment for around $60-$70. Hell, the Ford dealership charges $99.

As with any vehicle, make sure your hard-parts are in good order (sounds like you nee caster/camber plates). Just keep an eye on your tires. Don't want them to wear, unevenly, if you're out of alignment.

The shop I use for alignment isn't free. We pay them to use their cutting-edge equipment. But it's worth it, maybe 30-40bucks, to make sure things are in alignment (ball-joints, tie-rods, etc., all the things that might look good under visual inspection, but that (and will) kill your tires if not properly aligned.

Kits and alignment $160. Shops charging $120 an hour labor. Rip Off.
$100 to $150 is the hourly labor rate for most reputable auto repair shops depending on location. All things considered, $160 to install camber kits including alignment is a bargain. If $160 includes camber kits for both sides it's a steal. Driver side rear bolt removal can be a PITA because of hard line interference. Washers are pressed on the UCA bolts making it much more difficult. Cutting the bolt is NOT necessary, and most remove the plastic clips from the frame for more wiggle room.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2268137

Latest posts