Camper shell don't look right

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brien Moore

Reaction score
I had my camper shell put on today. It just doesn't look right to me. Where it comes close to the cab it doesn't follow the curve of the cab. It is the Glasstite, Raven. Does this look right to you guys? If someone's looks different please let me know.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I agree Brien. It looks like it was designed for something besides the ST. The ones I've seen before, matched the curvature of the cab better than that. Plus, it looks higher than it ought to be.

I agree as well. Looks like it was designed for a F-150 almost. I realize they are a different bed. But the F-150 cab has a light bubble back there...

Any chance they use the same Camper Shell on the Trac and the mini bed that is on the Step Side bed on the F-150????

I've only seen one of those myself but I think Kevin might be right. The silver one I saw fit much closer without that gap halfway down and it seemed the exact height as the cab. I dont know about the short bed on the step side myself but if that's the deal, I think he may have caught it. Not sure if the one I saw was a glastite, but Im thinkin it wasnt.

Brien... Fit is not "awful", but definately could be better, smoother, etc...

Color seems to match o.k.

I would double check to make sure they installed the correct one.

I have a Jason cap, mine does not have that little dogleg at the bottom... I think they gave you the wrong one (cant imagine what it would be for though)[Broken External Image]:

Brien, sorry, but after looking at cruzrtwdgt's, his looks like it rolled off of the

assembly line with the truck! I would get with him and see what advice

he can give you on what to do with yours.

Gavin, to answer your question, "torsional and longitudinal flex".

In other words, if they put the bed right up against the cab in a pick-up

type vehicle, the bed and cab would flex, squeak, rattle and moan from the

metal to metal contact, or the cab to bed rubbing together.

I would be willing to bet they used an F-150 Flareside cap. I remember someone saying the Trac tailgate is the same side as the F-150 Flareside's.

It looks like crap. Make them remove it and tell them you want the right one.

Tom

With the camper shell taller than the cab, you'll be scooping air into the gap between the cab and bed. This will cause additional drag and probably a lot of wind noise.

Good point Nelson... I think I would take it back and show them the pic of mine.... that is an extremely poor fit for the ST.

Brien, I didn't see a dealer near your town, but I did a google and saw some in texas.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your input. I just needed a second opinoin on the matter. I took it back today. They gave me a full refund.

Thanks

Brien

Latest posts