Can i do this?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Re: my 2005 ST 2:73, 31 spline, open diff .Can I simply remove the non tractionlok gearset and then install a traction lok gear set in an axle that is open? Is the axle/diff housing the same on both? Thanx!

Thanx for the reply CG!

I ordered/rec'd the Aussie Lockerlast week but it didn't fit:angry:because of the oem shims didn't allow for it to be pinned in when all installed.I called them and they couldn't explain it or help. I shpd it back for credit and just now bot a new traction lock gear set on Ebay.

Semper Paratus! :D

Best thing to use is Ford Racing set up. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=221

Artstang,,it is this one. 31 spline.

Same one a freind of mine that races recomended to me for street service over a ausie or or powertrax.

Chad

I called Aussie about that.. They tell you [as do the instructions] to insert the oem shims back inside the case. The pin then doesn't clear to slide back in. No one knows why it won't!

Jim

Did you also install different gears? And what was the pin hitting? Was the pin hitting the ring gear? Not be rude but it sounds like it was not installed correctly. What I mean is that there are 4 pieces to the locker, so they should match up and fit nicely inside the carrier. And when you put the "C" clips back on the axles they need to be pulled out to lock them in place. If this was not done then your locker could have been off center.

However I did make a mistake about saying not using the shims. My ST had the L/S diff so I had to remoive everything to install my locker.

Also on my install since I had 4:56 gears my centerpin would not go into the locker either, because the ring gear was in the way. So you have 2 choices in that situation,

1) buy the notched pin for $40.00

or

2) do it the free way and simply grind down the outer edge of the ring gear. That was my inexpensive method:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts