Can u change the rear axle ratio?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K,

It wouldn't be worth the cost to do the swap, unless you do it yourself and sell the old guts. In general, though, yes - you can swap gears and lockers.

I cant remember what the LS unit from ford cost. I had it installed in my T-Bird at a local garage for $200, a couple of years ago.

It's "better" depending on what you want. I have the limited slip and like it on the dry street and off-road (both rear wheels driven). It's not so great on ice or snow, but okay on wet roads. It's not great on ice and snow because, typically, if one wheel begins to spin, the other does too, and there's nothing to keep the rear from sliding. With an open differential (not limited slip or locking), there is usually one wheel not spinning.

The labor cost here in So. Ca. is around $200.00 and limited slips are about $200.00, bearings, etc. run about $70.00 to 90.00. If you change ratio, that'll run you another couple hundred. All ballpark.

I have a 3.73 open rear end, and I'm installing a PowerTrax extreme traction unit in October. It's similar to a locker, but doesn't have the noise and harsh operation of a locker. I've read through the instruction sheet, and it seems like a fairly easy installation. There's no need to mess with the ring or pinion gears. I figure that would be the easiest route to take. The unit costs $419 at Jegs.com.

Installing a Powertrax is relativly simple.

To really sum it uup, you remove the rear diff cover. Pull the spider gear pin, push the axle in and remove the C-clip. Turn the driveshaft to remove the spider gears. Replace the axle spiders with one part of the kit. Repeate for the other side. Put the clips back together. Add the rest of the hardware, and put the pin back in. Put the cover back on. Fill with the proper gear oil. If you have a 4x4 and you are doing the front, doo the same thing.

The Powertrax should have detailed instructions.

There are some things I am leaving out sincee I have not installed one and don't plan on either.

Tom

You do not have to change the gears to install a limited-slip. Powertrax is one of the best (also it's the only one available for the front), also a Detroit True-Trac which is basically the same as the Torsen that comes in FX4 Level II Rangers. A Sport Trac has a 31 spline 8.8" rear axle (some 8.8's are 28 spline and take a different unit).

I would not recommend a straight locker on a vehicle that is mostly street driven, especially if you get snow and ice.

While it's true that both wheels will spin with a L/S if both are on a slippery surface such as snow, I'd still rather have power going to two wheels instead of one and just steer it properly.

Latest posts