CAN you fit a v8 in an 01 ST???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
After thinking about the ST supercharger for a while now, I was thinking it would be cheaper to stuff a v8 in there, and play with that a bit... Is this possible? Arent there v8 explorers around, wont those engines fit into an ST?

I havent seen anyone do it, I know 23ballistic is stickin a 302 in his.....

Any advice or warning about this?

Only in the bed.... LOL

Basically, the inner fenders are designed differently. They will not allow a V8 to be dropped straight in. The explorers with the V8 have an entirely different design in the front end as far as engine cradle and inner fenders.

Can it be done, yes. It will require some substantial modification is all...

Well, my thinking is, the supercharger, installed is going to cost me around $6000 canadian. I can get a v8 crate engine for $1500, so that woul leave me $4500 for mods to make it work, and the install...

Is this a fair comparison, or would an engine shop cost me a lot more than the $4500?

I am sure we all can respect what you are wanting out of your ST, but wouldn't it be more cost (and time) efficient in the long run to just take the money you are planning for this and use it to get a true V-8 F150 or something similar? I completely respect what it is you are considering and all you have to say is "I just want to see if I can do it" and I am sure you will still get a lot of support. I guess I'm just curious about your reasoning in this. (And of course, it truly is none of my business....so feel free not to even answer).

You will not get much of a crate motor for $1500 CD. The rest of your budget will be eaten up buying bracketry and parts to make that motor run.

grump

It's not just the engine - it's the transmission too. So, you'd have to add the cost of the transmission to that. Then you'd need the correct computer and other electricals. If you have a 4x4, then you have transfer case issues, and you most likely will need to modify the length of your driveshaft. Motor mounts, etc etc... all that needs to be considered.

David (ST'errific) and I compared an Explorer with a v8 and the ST side by side, and saw little reason why the dang thing shouldn't fit.

If you can find an Explorer with a v8 as a donor vehicle, then you have most of what you need for a transplant. To me, that's the most viable option.

Get a 2001 Explorerer with a V8. That way you have all the stuff yoou need*well most of it*, more specifically the wiring harness and the computer. then you have to do a lot of research to match things up. You will probably have to fabricate a few things.

Have a good one

Bob

You would probably have to use the 5 litre engine.

In 2002 the full size Explorer was redesigned, and the went to the 4.6litre modular V8.

The engine bay was modified to fit this new series of engine.

I believe that even though the displacement is less, it actuall takes up more space, especially along the top of the motor with the heads.

If you really want a kick in the pants, then put in a stroked 5L, or 351.

Same dimensions but more power.

A tranny to handle that in an Explorer will most likely be your more difficult task.

I hate to say it, but do a search. This issue has been hashed and rehashed so many times in the past it sreiously isn't funny.

The general concensus is that yes, physically it will fit, but as Coastie said, not without a LOT of modifications. You'll need a lot more then just a motor and a few brackets, in addition to what others have mentioned, you'll need a radiator, e-fan, and upgraded brakes. It's a lot of work, that's for sure.

Well, getting the F-150 is not an option, im pouding my 01 ST with mods lately, and its for a reason ;) Cause I love the looks, I love everything about my ST, and the more I do to it, the more I love it.

I am going to keep this vehicle FOREVER. I will fix it, supe it up, maybe even make it into something like 23ballistic's ST one day.

There are only so many cosmetic things you can do before you have to start looking at performance.

I guess ideally, in the future id like it to be a 'race truck' therefor im looking at the engine swap to get me there.

I know what you are saying about just getting a vehicle that is wht I want it to be, but now that im modding things I enjoy it a lot, and want to keep that momentum up by doing whatever it takes to get it to 'race truck' status.

I dont NEED the bigger engine, I just want it, and I want it in an ST ;)

I dont NEED the bigger engine, I just want it, and I want it in an ST

I know what you mean Chris. I put a 350/350 Auto in a 71 Vega once, and a 283 / 4speed in a 74 Vega. Rooma zoom zoom! :lol:

I put a 350/350 Auto in a 71 Vega once

:D:D:D

Reminds me of my first NEW car, a 73 Gremlin (don't laugh). Instead of air conditioning I paid extra for the 304 V-8. I promptly stuck in a Holly 4 barrel. Used to run circles around mustangs. I can only imagine the suprise of a Vega burning rubber.

Last edited by a moderator: