Cap/Topper wiring harness

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Valvardi

Reaction score
I bought a used Leer cap/topper, and want to connect the 3rd brake light on the cap. I tried splicing into the factory 4 pin wiring harness. Typically, the 4 pin factory wiring harness is: green wire is the STOP & Right signal, yellow wire is STOP and Left signal, brown is tail lights, and white is ground. The 3rd brake light on the cap has two wires, a ground and hot.

I connected the cap 3rd brake light hot wire to the green and yellow on the four pin harness, and the brake light ground wire to the white. The 3rd brake light functions, but when the right turn signal is activated, the brake light flashes. When the left signal is activated the brake light does not flash. Any suggestions?

Under the bumper of the truck, Between the bumper and spare tire are 2 loose wires labeled either (aux) or CHMSL, those are the 2 wires you need to tap into. Not the brake lights or the trailer plug..

You may want to lower the spare tire to get better acess...

Todd Z

For you 07 and up guys, don't bother looking for that handy connection. It isn't there.

Will these two loose wires generate a running light, in other words my trailer pins running lights aren't working, can i splic off of there of is this just a brake light wire.

CHRIS

thats what i was affraid of, any ideas on supplying a source of power for my running lights

CHRIS -- sorry for the hi-jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, the running lights on the trailer connector is the Brown wire.

Left lamp - Yellow

Right lamp -Dark green

Ground - Black

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts