Car Speed and Reverse Gear Signal Input Wires?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I'm almost done with the Pioneer AVIC-D3 installation in my '03 ST. My next question is where do I tap into the Car Speed and Reverse Gear Signal Input Wires? Any suggestions for wire routing for both would be much appreciated as well. I've Googled both of these questions with no luck.

Thanks,

Adam

You don't really need either of them, but if you insist, the VSS wire should be tapped off the computer, and the reverse wire in the driver's side kick panel.

Because you don't. They're only used for "fine tuning" The unit operates off of the GPS. It only cares about the wires when you go through tunnels, etc.

But if he is installig a rear view camera the reverse signal input triggers the camera to come on when he puts the vehicle in Reverse.

Redfish...Why do you say install the wires? I've completed the bypass and read a lot on AVIC411.

Now, I'm trying to hunt down good installation spots for the XM and Bluetooth modules...one step at a time.

Do you have wire harnesses in the passenger kick panel. Those are what get in the way for me. Also, where do you keep your phone when using the bluetooth and do you have any reception problems with it on the floor behind the kickpanel?

You can move the wires. The factory Sirius module goes in there.

And it'll work fine. I don't have all the Pioneer stuff in MY truck, but I've put it in a couple just like mine. As for where to put the phone, I usually leave it in it's holster on my waist.

OK, I'll take another look and see if I can move the wires. As for the Speed and Reverse wires. I know about where they should be, but what color wire and I'm looking for?

I say install the wires becauses one controls the backup camera if you ever want to install one. The other speed control wire, from everything I have read ie all the internal caculation of the units speed/distant/time actions more accurate. Also, a lots of problems that people have are related to not hooking up this wire. If you have to call in for service on the unit they will talk you throuh the menu and the unit will tell them the wire is not connected. They will not be able to help you with a problem without the wire hooked up.

You can live without the wires hooked up. Your choice. I just think it's best to hook it up right the first time and work from there. My Sirus in on the right side kick panel. Just pull the glove box and you can get to everything easy. I looked at Blue.. but I don't talk enough in the vehicle to make the install. I have a I pod hookup and it's great. After you get everything working put in your own custom background and enjoy.