Car Speed and Reverse Gear Signal Input Wires?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about the Pioneer, but my Kenwood wouldn't perform half its designed functions without the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire hookup (guidance and rerouting, to name a couple). The reverse wire connection is necessary so the unit will know you're going backward when you're backing up. Otherwise it'll think you're going forward and misplace the vehicle icon until the satellite signals correct it. Also, if you don't have the VSS hooked up, the unit will stop tracking you when the satellite signals are blocked (underground tunnels and skyscrapers will do that).

The VSS wire is Gray w/ Black stripe, and can be found in a bundle if wires coming down from the overhead console behind the radio. The reverse wire is Pink (I can't remember offhand what the stripe color is), and can be found in the driver's side, rear passenger area, under the kick panel. There's a lot of pink wires in there, so it won't be easy finding the right one. This info is based on the assumption that the wires in your 2003 are the same as the 2002.

Last edited by a moderator: