Cargo Bed Lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Perry

Reaction score
Parts List:
<P>
- Clear Light with an On/Off Switch mounted on the light. You can probably find this at any auto parts store.  Just make sure it is rated for 12V.<BR>
- Set of Wire Taps.  Any kind will do.<BR>
- About 1 foot of 16-14 gauge wire<BR>
- Spiral Wrap for wire<BR>
- Drill with 3/8 Bit<BR>
- T-20 Screwdriver or screw head to remove screws on rear power adapter<BR>
- Electrial Tape<BR>

parts.jpg

With the T-20 Screw Driver, remove the 4 screws that hold on the case for the 12V rear power outlet.

step%201.jpg

Find a place for your light.  I mounted mine near the top of the bed just below where the Tonneau closes and inbetween the Locking Latch and the Lever Lift Kit.  You can see the marks that I made using the Light as a guide.  I also had to drill a 3/8 inch hole in the bed so that I can pass the power cables through the wall of the Bed.  (just be careful not to drill in to far once you break through the wall.  When you take off the 12V power adapter, you will see how thin the wall is and the hole is big enough to put your hand through and feel behind the wall.

step%202.jpg

Strip your wires and feed them through the Spiral Wrap.  I also put on the atachment clips for the wire connectors that will tap into the power outlet.

step%203.jpg

step%203a.jpg

Attach the wires from the light to the wires that you fed through the hole.  I used basic wire connectors and crimped them tight.  Here you can see that this is the plate that I made the marks from.  This will mount to the bed of the truck.  There is a rubber gasket that fits behind the plate.

step%204.jpg

Peel back the Black Spiral Wrap on the Power outlet and squeeze on the wire taps.  Mine were very easy once I pressed them, they tapped into the wire for me and all I had to do was plug in the wires from the light and I got power.

step%205.jpg

Test the light to make sure that it works and also test the 12V power outlet to make sure that it is also getting power.  I then wrapped up the connections I made into the power outlet cables with a nice amount of electrical tape to keep them from the elements. and I screwed back on the Rear 12V outlet.

step%206.jpg

I then attached the light to the bed with screws and then I screwed on the lens cover with the light switch facing down.  Do not forget to put the rubber gasket behind the plate when you mount it to the bed.

step%207.jpg

step%207a(1).jpg

Let there be light.  Congrats!

step%208(3).jpg

Last edited by a moderator: