Castle Nut

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Dacher

Reaction score
I took the rotors off to repack the wheel bearings whlile changing the front pads on my 01 ST. When I took the castle nut off I was able to remove it by hand without using a wrench. Shouldn't the castle nut be torked down? If so, does anyone have the torque settings?

Thanks in advance.

NOOOOO, DO NOT TORQUE IT DOWN...

Now that I have your attention.

The castle nut literally just holds the bearings in place. To tight and the friction will destroy the bears and or races.

Too loose and you will do the same as the load of the vehicle will not be riding on the races properly.

I can easily tell you what to do but I am sure I can find a good link.

Be right back...

Ok, here is a cut and paste of what I was after...

Now place the nut on the spindle and tighten it by hand until it won't go anymore. Spin the rotor or drum a few times back and forth and then tighten the nut come more by hand. This insures that the bearings are seated in their races. Do it a couple of times until you can't get it any tighter by hand.

Now tighten the nut ¼ turn, no more than 16 foot-pounds. If you have a castellated nut, line it up with the hole going through the spindle. Install a NEW cotter pin and fold it over. If you have a retaining ring, place it on the nut and install the cotter pin. Never reuse the old cotter pin and make sure you do install it. Basically this is the only thing holding the front wheel on.

And the entire instructions can be found here...

Thanks a lot. This was very helpful. I did tighten it by hand by my neighbor said that I needed to torque it down. This is why this site is so great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts