CB radio, worth it?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
For those of you who have a CB radio in your ST, do you find it helpful? I remember reading a few years ago that CB was badly abused and not as helpful as it once was.

We use FMRS when we are caravaning somewhere, but I was thinking that a CB like the Cobra 75 with the weather feature might be a useful addition.

Thoughts?

I have one of those emergency CB's that plug into the cig lighter and the antenna sticks to the roof with a magnet. Had it for a long time. Last time I went to Canada, I thought I'd throw it in the car just in case, and for a little entertainment. Well, it didn't stay on long. All I heard was guys hunting lot lizzards or the like and truckers whining like a bunch of sailors that needed their diaper changed about all the stupid cars on THEIR roads. As far as the CB being worth anything for an emergency, I don't know. You might get someone on the other end that you don't want coming to you.

Not any more, 5-10 years ago I would say yes, But once they removed the license requirement to operate one, Everyone has one. With map quest, cell phones and GPS equipment, Cb's will become obsolete. Only people that want to talk to each other fro free will be using them. IMO

Todd Z

Mine's useful on long trips. I can get traffic reports, listen to the chatter, and mine has NOAA weather capability for weather reports. As far as calling for help or anything, I usually use my cellphone.

We use ours all the time while 4-wheeling. In fact most of the clubs require them. It is very helpfull while picking your way through obstacles to have your spotter talking to you on a hand held cb.

On the road I talk to the truckers (not all are whiners), we give each other "cow standing in road" reports and other nice to know info. This is on a lonely streach of open range road where you can run into just about anything.

When traveling on the interstate I usually turn it off.

I have the Cobra 75 in my commuting car, it is usually set to scan only channel 19 & 9. If it is scanning all channels you end up listening to (but not understanding in my case) spanish speaking cb r's.

I wanted one for longer trips (not in a caravan) for those places that sometimes cell phone's just don't work. Trucker's also know the scoop for traffic jams that are miles long and no obvious reason.

Joe M in B'ham

Not any more, 5-10 years ago I would say yes, But once they removed the license requirement to operate one, Everyone has one.

Ok, here we go, see the comma Q???

The "not any more,5-10 years ago I would say yes" answered the question.

The next comma, Before the "but once" Starts a new subject, Not saying they removed the licenses 5-10 years ago... But Since then ( whatever that time was, And I don't care) Everyone got one and It went down hill from there...

Clear as mud?

Todd Z

I use mine mostly for the PA system, it's also works good for when you are stuck in traffic on a highway, you can find out why the road is backed up and maybe decide to detour :blink:

Rich,

Look into getting an Amateur Radio License for 2 Meter. It is easy and requires no knowledge of Morse Code. I carry the highest class of Amateur Radio License, the "Extra Class". I can assure you, it will be the beginning of a great adventure in mobile radio.

There is probably at least one amateur radio club in your area, maybe more. They will be more than happy to help you.

Most people, including the "more educated truckers" are now going for their 2 meter license with amateur radio. You will not hear the foul language on Amateur Radio that you do on CB. If it does happen, that person will soon lose their license and face a very hefty fine and jail setence.

If you need more info, e-mail me at [email protected]

David AB7VE

I travel alot and it has certainly saved me from numerous possible tickets and time due to traffic delays. To me, its worth its weight in gold.

All I heard was guys hunting lot lizzards or the like and truckers whining like a bunch of sailors that needed their diaper changed about all the stupid cars on THEIR roads.

Just what exactly is that phrase supposed to mean, Fred?:huh: I've been a Sailor in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club for 19+ years, and I've never heard the phrase, "whine like a sailor". "Cuss like a sailor", yes, but not "whine like a sailor".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Rich. If you're looking for something good for on-the-road communications, I suggest that you consider looking into getting your amateur radio (HAM radio) license. Plenty of helpful people out there, and usually easy to find the local repeater frequencies. I can give you more info if you're interested, or check out the Amatuer Radio Relay League (ARRL)'s website at <a href="http://www.arrl.org">www.arrl.org</a>. They're the biggest group for ham radio operators.

73 de KE4ODI

(best wishes/farewell from KE4ODI, my FCC-issued callsign)

JayMcK

Yeah, one of those radio "Geeks" who is actually able to communicate with the outside world when something like Katrina or an earthquake hits your area, knocking out traditional phone lines, cell towers, and other mass-market communication methods. One of those "geeks" who can pass emergency traffic, saving lives. One of those "geeks" who can volunteer to provide communications for events such as the March of Dimes walkathons and other things. One of those "geeks" who joins the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) to pass messages from soldiers in God knows what country to loved ones back home.

And if it's antennas you're worried about, use a handheld. Of course, if you were planning on putting in a CB, you'd have to have an antenna for that, too.

Latest posts