CD player error! Suggestions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Rhoads

Reaction score
My stock 6 disk cd player on my '01 ST recently decided to stop playing cd's and also will not load or eject them. When I try it says CD ERROR and goes back to the radio. Any suggestions on how to remove the radio or other possible solutions (other than take it to the dealer)?

You can try disconnecting the battery to try to reset the radio... also to remove it you need the removal tool, or 4 pieces of coat hanger and the 4 holes around the radio have clips, insert the hangers or tool in there and then Pull the radio out...

IF you need to remove the radio, I found removing the screwer that hold on the bezel on , remove that and the whole thing comes out since the radio is mounted to the bezel.....

Todd Z

Any chance there might be a disc jammed in it, that is visible from the outside? If so, sometimes it's possible to get it out by sliding a credit card into the slot, over the top of the disc. (Or at least I think it was over the top--but it might have been underneath. Either way, I don't think you'll do any harm if you do the wrong one.) If you have any CD's in there with paper labels, or CD's that are of thicker-than-usual material, this can be rather common.

My throws fits too, I had 6 CDs in it and it wouldnt give em back, I went to Autozone and bought the tool, took it out and got my CDs back, but today its doing what yours is, so I might take it out again.

Boodro