CEL - P0171 Scan Code

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARVIN McINTYRE 2

Reaction score
Exactly what does this code mean, and what and where is the problem located? Is it the EGR valve? Or is it the same as an oxy sensor? My engine idles up and down erraticly, and it is puzzling to me. Is the fix something that I can do? Thanks for your help, I will be waiting to hear some tips from those of you that might know!

Vacuum elbow!! Pull it and check...just don't look at it!!!

Guys, thanx for the info, but will this stop the up and down idling in the engine. It has an up and down cadence to it. Before I ever had a tranny issue, I went to Auto Zone a few weeks back and had them scan the CEL and they read out a code (I did not write down) that indicated the EGR valve. He didn't say specifically that that was the problem, but he said that it was more than likely somewhere within that route. Are we talking the same lingo? EGR or vacuum elbow hose? Or Both?

If you have the 0171 / 0174 code chances are great that the hose is defective. If it is in fact defective then yes, replacing it will more than likely solve your issue.

Why.... Your engine is getting more air than it should. As a result the ECM allows the injectors to put more fuel into the combustion chamber. As it gets the extra fuel the RPM's goes above the regulated minimum / maxi mun idle RPM's. Soooo, the engine reduces the time the injectors are open to reduce the fuel and to lower the RPM's.

BUT, the extra air continues to come into the chamber and the ECM says, hmmmm, I need more fuel. So it is a never ending struggle to get things correct. Which can not happen if you have a vacuum leak.

Also, you may have a EGR issue based on what you posted above. This is also a common issue with the Tracs. So much so that Ford extended the coverage on the EGR System.

But fix the hose and then pull the codes to see what you have.

Let us know...

Coastie! Damn that was good! You always post straight messages to the quirks and qualms of the ST. I "looked at" the hose visually but did not pull it off/out to check behind or under it. I will do that when I get home today. But on my 01' the hose looks shorter than what someone posted on a photo in the archives concerning this problem. Is there a length difference? And is changing out the EGR valve an easy task? I will await your post on this matter, and thank you all for your help

EGR is an easy swap on our Tracs. But it can be one of two things wrong as far as the EGR goes. Sometimes it is the solenoid and sometimes the EGR itself. That is why I suggest the code as it will help us help you get the correct item. I'll do a search for the EGR issue in a moment and list a link for you.

If you have a 2001 Job 1 Trac then you will not have this hose we are talking about. If you have a 2001 Job 2 Trac then you will and it more than likely will be defective. Most of them are. But even if it is not all that was posted above is more than correct. A defective hose can be found while the engine is running and spraying carb cleaner around all the hoses and connections. If the engine stumbles or take off in RPM's you have found the area that is allowing the extra air to come into the combustion chamber...

Did I answer your question or lose you along the way..

Coastie, yep you did answer all. My ST was ordered in May of 2001, and was made in June of 2001. I can't tell if it is Job1 or Job2 from just looking at the engine/whatever. It will take me a few minutes to look at those links and decipher them. Maybe you should advise DORF(FORD) about their vehicles for this site! I'm kidding about the "DORF" thing, I like Ford trucks more than others. I will get back to you sometime today, and thanks a mill.

Forgot to mention.

EGR is the same as a DPFE sensor. Basically the EGR is an old term and has stuck around even on our new DPFE's. The DPFE is the new version of the traditional EGR. The new version is Digital where the traditional is in most cases vacuum activated. Between the EGR's and the DPFE's there was a version that was solenoid operated...

Good luck to you...