CEL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane e

Reaction score
i have 2001 ST JOB 1 77k. The check engine light came on a few days ago. It remained on for two days then today it was gone. I noticed that it would lose a little power if i goosed the peddle(like it was not getting gas or air). I took it to a local auto parts store to read the codes: Pending Codes-P1132 Lack Of HO2S1 Switches-Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Freeze Codes-P1131 Lack Of HO2S1 Switches-Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

The trouble light is still gone but if i leave it in park and rev up the engine until it reached 4rpms the engine shudders(like it was not getting gas or air).

The auto parts person suggested to buy oxygen sensor part for $79. My question is am i on the right track, or could it be the fuel filter or maybe the pump? Also just wanted to say this is the best site ever. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

An '01 should have had the fuel filter replaced many times by now, at least 20-30 thousand

mile intervals, depending on the area of the country you live in and where/grade of fuel

you buy. An HO2S1 is usually a code for a "Heated Oxygen Sensor (Bank)1.

That is common thru G.M. Ford and Chrysler.

O2 sensors, after so many miles, or years, become maintenance items, also, and many

people do not realize this!

Professional opion, shane...

If you have not already done so, have the fuel filter replaced, check your air filter, and also,

keep in mind if you have ever replaced, or had replaced, your spark plugs and wires!

If you have an older, or God forbid, original fuel filter, that could be plugged/plugging up

preventing your engine from getting the proper amount of fuel,that could be causing some or most of the

above described symptoms!

Thanks so much tracnblack. I have had the trac for about 30k of the 77k, and i have never replace the fuel filter. I just read the project on replacing fuel filter, hope it is something i can do. I noticed that my filter only has one inlet and one outlet(compared to project two and one). I will go to parts store and get the fuel filter and hose line tool, and will replace the air filter. As for the O2 sensors there is more than 1?(sorry not mechanically informed) or just follow the exhaust lines to answer my own question? But for now i will replace the filters and go from there. Thanks again.

the engine spits and sputters due to the REV limiter. in park it will not allow you to REV over 3000 RPM..

troy

Aaaahhhhh!!!! Thanks so much about the REV limiter. My wife said the truck probably won't let you rev up the engine past 3k RPM, as being the man of the house :rolleyes: I said no way never heard such of a thing. Boy was i wrong. Not sure i should tell her about this post i would never hear the end of it if i do.:wacko:

Ahh, just remove the rev limiter and make the St shift at 6500 into second....LOL

Todd Z

Although those are not the normal codes for LEAN BANK, the common fault is this hose. (Normal codes are 171 and 174).

The splint normally happens on the bottom of the hose, just looking at it will not tell you if it is split. At the very least get your fingers on it and feel if it is soft, spongy or split. Better yet is to remove it so you can see the bottom of it.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts