Cell Phone Carriers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Miller 3

Reaction score
Looking to get cell phones for the whole family. Cingular and Verizon are offering discounted plans/equipment for employees where I work. I'm looking for any info (good or bad) on either provider. Things like dropped calls...customer service...coverage area...etc. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Gang!!!!!!! :D

Dan

Go with Verizon. I left nextel and cingular. Very happy with the service, customer service, and better selection of phones. Also, every two years you get $100 per phone if you want a new phone.

I've had verizon since '93, not the best price, but I think it has been the best service. We have 4 verizon phones on 1 shared program of 2200 minutes. Rose gets a 10% discount for being a county employee. Tried nexteland voicestream,,, crudd!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Sprint and am pretty happy. Coverage is great on the interstates and in medium to large towns, but not so great in rural areas away from the interstates.

My wife and I each have plans that has 650 anytime minutes and 3000 nights and weekend minutes for $35.95 a month each. I don't use the web or vision stuff much, so it isn't a problem for me that my plan doesn't include it.

I have had Verizon for since about 94 or so.

No problems. I have traveled from Maine to Fla. have always had coverage.

Got 3 phones sharing minutes. about 700 I believe.

one phone with V-cast and EVDO pay about $100 per month

Hope it helps..

Oh yea.. Verizon is also adding Navigation with GPS phones. Not sure what the charge is. but the person I know that tested it says it worked better then he expected.

Verizon is the best from what I have learned. I have 4 phones all from Verizon. I travel heavily. I fly 5 days a week 2 to 4 flights a day. I can tell you nothing is better as far a coverage than Verizon. I carry a company phone and we have had three providers, none of which were Verizon. None of them have ever been as good as my personal Verizon phones.

Just for general information, all most of the cell phone carriers offer a discount up to 23% off for military, gov. employees, if any one needs the the numbers , let me know, i will post them for you guys.

:D

I have a Verizon work phone and a Cingular personal phone. I prefer Cingular. I've been more places where the Verizon failed to pick up a signal then the Cingular.

I have Nextel, because it's the only one that works on my air base where I'm stationed (go figure since the government owns Nextel). The plans and the phones suck. I'm thinking of going to Cingular because I've heard alot of good things about them.

I dont think the goverment owns nextel.... Last I read sprint and nextel merged and mr gates whom owns almost 7% of nextel will made an extra 334mil at the time.

Cingular.... Also got discounts thru my company, 2 Nokias 6102 for free, decent customer service, no dropped calls, hassle free roaming, discounted service fees for 2nd phone on family plan.

I personally like Sprint, but between the choices given, I'd choose Verizon.

IMHO CDMA>GSM (unless you do alot of international travelling).

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the past 14 or so years, I've had six different carriers. The best I've found is Nextel. I've been with them for six years now. The only place I haven't had service is Death Valley. Go figure.

Mark

I have Nextel for work and Cingular for my wife and son's phones, hate both carriers. A lot of dropped calls on both networks here in Wash DC area, nightmare of billing fiasco on Cingular, crappy battery life on all Nextel phones I have had.

Can't get away from Nextel for work, but plan to try Verizon once my contract is up with Cingular.

Cingular is great. almost never get a dropped call, actually almost all the dropped call I get are talking to my friend who has nextel. he has complained to them about dropped calls about 10 times.

just got the razr v3, great phone with a great signal. havnt found a dead spot yet. had an erricson z500a before that with the exact same service/account and had dead spots here and there.

Latest posts