Changed the fuel filter on my 04

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
This morning I was finally able to replace the fuel filter. A short burst of compressed air and then a short burst of WD40 into the connectors and the use of a metal disconnect tool allowed the disconnection with relative ease.

I got the tool from Pep Boys and it is made by Performance Tool. It's the gold colored, 3/8" one. The front of the package indicates a part# of "W83131", but the back says "Performance Tool#1024". The replacement filter was an OEM Motorcraft purchased from the dealership.

Surprsingly I did not get sprayed as feared. This may or may not have anything to do with the Trac not having been driven for nearly 24 hours, plus the pressure had been relieved the night before the project. There was still a trickle of fuel and I used a towel to prevent spillage. To catch any dripping I placed another towel in the C-frame just below the filter cradle. I read that fuel will eat the paint off the frame so I was careful. There will still be some fuel left in the filter and it will spill if up-ended.

The connectors snapped back into the new filter with no problem at all. I turned the key to 'on' and waited for the chime to go away and then I checked the lines for leakage. When I saw there was none, I jumped back in and turned the key to 'start'. She started up with a bit of hesitation but subsequent starts came to normal.

Considering the amount of difficulty I had in my previous attempt at this project, I was pleasantly surprised at how easily things went this morning. There were times I was considering just taking it into the dealer, but with this experience I know I'll be saving fifty to sixty bucks every 30K miles just by doing it on my own (and done right!).

Cool, Good deal...

You could have primed the system first by turning the key on and off several times first, this would pressurize the system and then your good to go.

The way you did it was fine, So no worries.... :cool::cool:

Todd Z

i pulled the fuel pump circut breaker and ran the engine untill it shut off, when i did mine.. no pressure in the line that way...

troy

I don't know of any other way of relieving pressure other than pulling the fuel pump fuse and starting the engine till it died (and then cranking again for a few seconds).