Changing my Trans filter?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lovell

Reaction score
Hello, my trans is leaking fluid and I was thinking while i had the trans pan off I would change my tans oil filter. I called to get pricing for the parts and there is a huge difference. Oreilly's wants either $14 (18 bolt?) or $20 (16 bolt. and those filters come with the pan gasket. I called Ford and they want $36 for the filter, $22 fro the gasket and said i will need 6qt of oil at $6.25 a qt. Should I pay the extra for the ford parts or would the cheaper aftermarket parts work fine? other than crawling under the ST is there a way to tell if i have the 16 or 18 bolt pan? Should I use Ford Mercon 5 oil or just get cheaper stuff at Oreillys? I will spend the extra money if it is worth it.

WIX 58841 is an OEM quality replacement for your Trac. If you want the best ATF, use AMSOIL. Service life: 100,000 miles (Normal Service), 50,000 miles (Severe Service). UPS will bring it to your doorstep; it's worth the wait. Call or PM me for pricing.

IMO, I dont care about the brand any trans filters. I buy what ever the store has. To me they all look to be same quality. Never had a problem with trans filters. The pad or screen, plastic part, steel crimp and o-rings. Same O same O. JMHO.......

Oil filters Im picky.......

Just make sure you get the right filter, deep pan for 4X4 and shallow for 2X4.

I put the drain plug in as well, it lets out 3.5 L of fluid, I do that every 3rd or 4th oil change, or when towing to keep things fresh.

Same here as Todd T. except I try to do it every other oil change. I've used several different fluids. Just verify it is compatible with Mercon V. Change the filter on normal schedule. I've never had a problem with the filters from the parts stores. It's worked for almost 290,000 miles.

Latest posts