check engine codes PO171 PO174

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, left bank running to lean. Most garages will tell you that it is defective O2 sensors.

However, the real fix is a faulty vacuum hose. Passengers side. You will find a crack in it. This allows too much air to reach the O2 Sensor thus tripping the Check Engine Light (CEL).

Here is a picture of where you need to look.

[Broken External Image]:

And a close up of the defeective hose.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
yup, Agree with KP, check the vacuum hose..

Todd Z

I have had a 01 and an 03 and never had the problem. I do not recall an 05 thus far with this issue. I would be shocked if Ford put a different hose there to be honest with you.

They let many 02, 03 problems run into the 04 models...

Maybe someone could look up the part number and see if it has changed????

Thank god for this site....I got the codes too.....they told me tune-up, air filter and new 02 sensors...something like $500.00....I said forget it!!! Found the fix on this site...alll fixed....almost no cost at all!!!

Check engine light came on, rough idle at stop light....sound familiar?

Went to this sight and voila, found my problem - cracked vacuum hose at DPFE sensor.

Just to check the solution out, I literally put a band aid (duct tape) on the cracked vacuum hose. I cranked her up, let her warm up, and problem seems to be solved. Will replace hose tomorrow.

The internet is a wonderful thing!

Thanks to this site I was able to fix this same problem as pictured above. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and bought: “CURVED RADIATOR HOSE” part number (A)70001CS. It fit perfectly with absolutely no modifications at all and cost less than $5.00. My Trac is running better than ever. Be sure to buy the part first as your Trac won’t run without it. This can be done without tools however I had to use a utility knife to cut away the old hose. Also, because I have big hands then I removed the dust cover to allow me a little more room to work . Still, the whole process took less than 10 minutes not including travel time to the parts store.

Latest posts