Check engine light on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Minard

Reaction score
My check engine light came on recently so I took everyones advice and went to autozone and had it read. It said lean oxygen sensor twice (can't remember the codes exactly). The guy said probably bad gas and that it wasn't a big deal. Now my trac is sputtering bad at idle. It will act like it is goiing to die and the idle is really rough. It actually did die acouple of times at stop lights. It goes to a super low idle and chugs a few times and makes a lot of noise. Then it will either kick up to like 1200 rpms or sit at around 300. It feels like it is not getting any air or fuel??? What should I do???? THanks for the suggestions

Shawn

Lean banks are normally a vacuum leak.. Did you check the vacuum elbow that is a common problem. Also may want to clean the MAF sensor and the IAC valve...

the only real way is to hook the truck to a snap on scanner and read every sensor, It could be a stupid coolant temp sensor that is messed up...

Todd Z

Thanks for the replies. Where is the elbow at? I don't have a manuel. I will check under the hood for leaks. The MAF comes off of the intake doesn't it? Thanks again for the replies.

Shawn

Thanks for the info. That was it exactly, the elbow had a huge split in it. I just put the new one on and disconnected the battery. I let the truck idle after I replaced the hose and it sounded better but still started to stutter a little. I am hoping that after the com resets all will be ok. Thanks for the link. It was awesome.

Cheers

Shawn

Well that might have been part of the problem. But my trac is still sputtering and really sounding like crap. I guess I will clean the MAF and what is the IAC? Any more ideas. Thanks