Check Engine light with P0171,P0174

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Lowe

Reaction score
I have read most the posts on this

I have 2001 Job 1 so no cracked vaccum elbow

Light comes on after about 15 minutes

Did all the cleaning projects and changed the PCV

anything else?

what am I missing

thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

The 01 job 1 was known for the intake manifold gaskets going bad and the intake for cracking.. I would recommend a vacuum leak test with either propane or carb cleaner...

Todd Z

Other things to look for are, air leaks after the maf, stuck egr valve, leaking diaphragm on the egr and an improperly seated oil dipstick._ Ron

Just got done with the same thing but mine had the bad elbow (It's a 2001 job 2) Try replacing the DFPE sensor. Also, on mine I had to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. The light would not go out on it's own for some reason.

As Todd pints out, it was fairly common for the 01 Job 1's to have a intake gasket failure.

I strongly recommend doing a vacuum leak test as I am certain you will find that you have a vacuum leak of some kind.

Your issue is that your too lean, which means your getting more air into the intake and combustion chamber than what you should be getting. Vacuum leaks create that.

changed both upper and lower gaskets

went 200 miles got about 10% better mpg

and engine just quit at a stop sign

next day engine light cam on with P 171 and 174 again

also notice a slight rough idle

EGR checks OK Pcv changed all hoes look good

any other ideas????

thanks

Brian,

Did you ever test for an intake leak before replacing the gaskets? If not you may just be throwing money away. You need to find the vacuum leak before you determine how to fix it.

If you had a gasket leak, you may have induced a bigger leak if you did not get the gaskets on right, or that may not have been the problem in the first place. The other problem is that it could easily be a cracked intake that shows up when the engine warms up. It can also be something a simple as a cracked vaccum hose, even if it's not the infamous "Cracked Elbow".

I like to use a propane torch and a piece of rubber hose to test for leaks when the engine is idleing. Move the end of the hose all over the intake, gaskets, vacuum hoses, etc. When you bring the hose close to a vacuum leak the engine will suck in some propane and the engine RPM will speed up noticeably. Now you know were the leak is and can figure out how to fix it. Because of the propane, you need to to this outside or in a wll ventilated garage.

That saves you a lot of money you would spend by just throwing new parts at the problem when you don't know what the problem is. That can get expensive real fast.

95% of a good mechanic's work is in diagnosing and testing, changing the part is the easy part. Unfortunately, that's what too many people think. Just slap new parts on and hope the problem goes away.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts