check engine light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el viejo

Reaction score
I normally use regular unleaded gas in my st although it can use ethanol. A couple of weeks ago when I was down to 1/4 tank I filled it up with ethanol. The following week I fill with ethanol again. The following week I filled it with regular unleaded when it was down to lest than 1/4 tank. A couple of days later the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and was told that it was because I had filled the tank when it was 1/2 tank full of regular unleaded fuel. They said that the light would go out after I ran a couple of tanks of regular unleaded fuel.

Has anyone else had this problem? Was the dealer giving me a bunch of BS?

Thanks

I am betting you told them what you did. Because I am sure they would have NEVER come up with that on their own.

Find out what the code was and post the code here...

Thanks for the quick responses. I will take st back to the shop next week. This time I will get the code so that I can post it on the site.

Thanks

This is the Second post about this though, Another member had the same thing happen. I don't recall the outcome..

Todd Z

My check engine light came on and my O/D flashed for a while after I put cheap gas in it. Ran like crap and the tranny shifted funny. Code said it was lean mixture. Ran the gas out, filled it up with the gas I normally use, took the neg. cable off the battery for a couple of hours and.... no check engine light. Runs just like it did when I bought it. Went to have any codes removed and they were already gone. I've put 1200 miles on it since then and no problem.

Hope you're as lucky as I seen to have been.

Oh...Auto Zone will check the codes for free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts