Check Engine - PO171B/PO164B

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Nadler

Reaction score
Well, I got my right wheel bearing replaced, two days later I get a check engine light on. This is only the second time I fueled with high octane gas (93), but still, I don't think this is the problem. The codes read that the system is too lean on bank 1 and bank 2. The guy at the dealership told me it would take a couple hours to test all the hoses and see what's wrong... that it's most likely a leak somewhere or a bad hose. Sound right? Anything I can do myself possibly?

I just had that, lean on banks 1 & 2 on my old Ford E250 van. Turned out to be the fuel pump inside the gas tank. The fuel filter was changed too.

Check the common vaccume elbow...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks to this site I was able to fix this same problem as pictured above. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and bought: “CURVED RADIATOR HOSE” part number (A)70001CS. It fit perfectly with absolutely no modifications at all and cost less than $5.00. My Trac is running better than ever. Be sure to buy the part first as your Trac won’t run without it. This can be done without tools however I had to use a utility knife to cut away the old hose. Also, because I have big hands then I removed the dust cover to allow me a little more room to work . Still, the whole process took less than 10 minutes not including travel time to the parts store.

Latest posts