Checked Out the New Toyota FJ Cruiser Today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
I looked, and it seems to be a pretty good vehicle. I love the interior and there is a lot of room behind the back seat for storing stuff. The dash is laid out very nicely, and everything interior-wise feels solid.

The 4X2 model I saw had some things I didn't like though. It had Bridgestone HLs on it, which seem to be highway tires, and even though the ground clearance looks good from the side and rear, the front skid guard hangs way too low, which only allows around six inches clearance. There wasn't much room to add bigger tires in the wheel wells, and the suspension looks pretty complicated. I don't know how hard it would be to lift the FJ. The door handles stick out around two or three inches and are plastic, so I doubt they would hold up to something hitting them (like a tree branch).

Even though this vehicle (albeit a 4X4 model) finished the Rubicon Trail, this vehicle seems a lot like my brother's H3. It looks tough, but then when you actually touch it, you find a lot of plastic where you wouldn't find plastic on our Fords.

The salesman told me straight up that the 4X2 would go for the sticker price (almost $28K) and that the 4X4 version on the showroom floor was $5K over invoice -- no negotiation. Until they bring the prices down a lot, I won't be buying one of these.

A customer was showing his to us at the parking lot. It's funky but that's it IMO. Just a novelty. You're right about the plastic and it's not just Toyota. I think Ford uses the best materials out there class for class.

It looks tough, but then when you actually touch it, you find a lot of plastic where you wouldn't find plastic on our Fords.

Stop by a body shop and compare the supports of a Ford and a Toyota. Ford will use plastic in one place, Toyota will use styrofoam. Ford uses metal, Toyota uses plastic.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the under bodies on a Ford car and say, a Toyota...the metal sub frame on the Ford stops well before the Toyota's.

Nelson,

I've yet to look at them, but I like everythign I"ve seen about the FJ so far. Those prices are insane, the damn thing bases at just over $21K....get the dealer to strip all that aftermarket stuff off, then sell it. That skid plate is an add on...the approach angle is pretty good, as are all the angles. As to the handles being plastic....what modern car uses metal handles? Not Ford, not Toyota, not BMW, not even Ferrari....I'm sure they are much stronger then they "feel"; besides, plastics save weight, and in today's world, weight is everything.

The FJ uses the same underpinnings as the 4Runner. I've heard around the internet that many of the 4Runner mods (lifts, etc) should work - much the same as we adapted 2nd gen explorer mods to the Sport Trac. I like the idea of a back to basics SUV, though I plan on keeping the ST for a while.

I love my fj cruiser, it is amazing, got 1500 off invoice in Canada (4 WD).

It is a lot more roomy than my sport trac.

Todd-

I heard that it was built on a different platform, a model that's not sold in the US, I wanna say the Prada (Prado?) but I forget at this time.

Either way, Toyota let about 60 aftermarket companies loose on preproduction models so that they could design mods for it. With the style of the vehicle and the intended audience, I've no doubt that lots of mods will be made for it.

Wait 6 months and the prices will be totally negotiable.... just like the Mini Cooper after it first came out. Once the 'newness' wears off, they'll deal on them just like any rebate-ridden domestic.

i looked at one of these the other day too. it was actually parked right next to a 2007 sportrac at the dealer. i like the fj cruiser. it looks very roomy inside. check out the link below. i think that's the way i would like it, i even like the color. all the add-ons would prolly run the price way up though.

That is the concept vehicle. The actual FJ doesn't have those tires, that much ground clearance or a wench. The interior also wasn't color-matched like the one in those photos. It still was a pretty sweet vehicle though. :D

OMG, Darin and I agree on smething. Looks are highly subjective. I think everyone agrees that the Pontiac Aztek was ugly though. LOL

Tom

I only read the first post so don't bash me if I'm repetative. Here in NH they are going for sticker, nothing over. I refuse to pay sticker for any car so there is no way I'd pay over sticker. Try using a car buying service to get you one, BJs has one. So does USAA if you happen to be a member.