Chime In On This!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARVIN McINTYRE 2

Reaction score
After having had an unsuccessful try at getting a brochure on the 2007 ST here in Dallas for about a month after they started to arrive at the Ford stores, I called VanBortel Ford in Victor, New York. They sent me one in less than four days after I called them. And included with that brochure was some background on Ms. Kitty VanBortel, the owner and CEO of her dealerships(a Subaru store, also). What a story about her work ethics, drive, and her business savvy, and of course her honesty! I have plans to buy an 07 ST from her, long distance of course, so I had a few questions for the mass of ST'ers from this forum to give me some help and insight into the pros and cons on buying this way. My main reason is that she gives you a "no-dicker sticker price" and she shows you what her margin of profit is, along with the invoice price and the MSRP of each vehicle, and an unheard of FREE 100,000 MILE FORD WARRANTY to boot! So, my questions are: Would I encounter ANY issues with other dealers here in Dallas refuse to service it in warranty? Where woulld it be prepped for delivery to me? What about the delivery destination charge that is charged to every vehicle, and does it apply to buying it elsewhere? Is it worth it to buy it this way, i.e:long distance?

What about the paperwork (Ford Credit will finance) and TT&L? I have never done this this way before, but it is in my plans as of now, unless some dealer decides to counter her offer locally. Please, no sarcasm, as this is about saving the cost of a 100,000 mile FORD warranty, and getting a great deal to boot! Chime in, I'm waiting for your comments. LOL!

:huh:;):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don't think for a minute you will be privy to the dealers actual cost. Most of their profit is backended. Most dealers anywhere will be glad to show you an invoice. Many will charge you invoice price or $1 above invoice. In South Florida we have dealers that work every angle possible. The FREE Warranty, nothing is FREE. You will pay for it somewhere. You may not be billed for the warranty, but you will pay for it. As far as I know all dealers will do factory warranty work. Is the 100,000 warranty a factory offer, or just a dealer offer? I can't imagine you would save so much money that this would be worth it. I would think the logistics and transportation cost to get the truck would eat up any savings that you might benefit. There must be a better local choice than buying a truck from across the country.

After reading the other posts about this Dealership and your concerns, I would suggest you call the dealership and talk to Ms. Kitty VanBortel, or someone. They seem like very nice people to deal with, and explain to them why you want to deal with them. Based on my experience, if they are as good as I am reading about them, they will try and find a way to help. As to warranty issues you should not have any problem going to another ford dealership, however since they are offering 100,000 ford warranty, check to see who will absorb the cost. ie. Ford or the Dealership. That may make a difference.

I have never been back to the dealership I purchased my ST or Winstar. If fact I called Ford and explained to them my personal circumstances and they recommended one of their Blue Oval dealership within 7 miles. I kept going there until my 3/36 warranty on the ST and 3/36 -ESP warranty ran out on our WINDSTAR.

Les, go to this website: vanbortelford.com. (Sorry I couldn't give you a direct link via the website, I don't know how to integrate it into this e-mail) or you can call 1 888-690-3673. As far as what you are saying, set up a situation as if you are ordering a 2007 ST, and do all of your options and you will see what I am saying about the costs. I don't really think she could afford to advertise herself and ruin her reputation through false advertising. You will see the whole thing as far as showing you the final price. Better yet, call the dealership and ask for a brochure for the 2007 ST and ask the sales manager, Mr. Hawkins to send you the same brochure and literature that he sent to me, and you can then judge it for yourself if that will answer ALL your doubts.

Far be it for me to burst your bubble. As I said earlier, if you think for one minute that an invoice is the actually dealer cost, you are wrong. Dealer costs are based on volume and speed of movement of the inventory. A dealer that sells 5000 units per month is going to pay less than a dealer that sells 1000 units per month. The costs of a car in inventory goes up every day it sits on the lot due to interest. Incentives are offered to the dealers from Ford

all the time. Remember last years advertising of paying employee prices. This rolled from one manufacturer to another. I paid less than invoice for my truck and so did a lot of people.

All I'm saying is, reconsider you local options. In the long run I think this will prove to be better for you.

There are members here that are willing to offer you an X-Plan PIN. Pretty hard to beat X-Plan prices. No dealer in thier right mind would rather sell a vehicle for less then you are already willing to pay.

Tom

mrmarvyn,

Don't rush yourself into anything, especially DEBT. However If you feel committed to buying the new ST, call VanBortel Ford and get them to give you their best deal in writing with your circumstances. ( As you mentioned before). Then take it to about 5 local dealerships and see if anyone could match or better the offer.

I did'nt go as far as NY but in the end I went to another county to buy my new vehicle. If you feel you are getting a good deal, why not get a cheap one way ticket and pick your new ST up. Better yet take a driving vacation.

The bottom line is we can all make suggestions but you will be the one left faced with the Bill.

Talk to the VanBortel Ford and do a bit of walk about.

PJ.

ps. Whatever you decide.. Good luck.

Les, go to this website: vanbortelford.com. (Sorry I couldn't give you a direct link via the website, I don't know how to integrate it into this e-mail) or you can call 1 888-690-3673. As far as what you are saying, set up a situation as if you are ordering a 2007 ST, and do all of your options and you will see what I am saying about the costs. I don't really think she could afford to advertise herself and ruin her reputation through false advertising. You will see the whole thing as far as showing you the final price. Better yet, call the dealership and ask for a brochure for the 2007 ST and ask the sales manager, Mr. Hawkins to send you the same brochure and literature that he sent to me, and you can then judge it for yourself if that will answer ALL your doubts.

Thanks to all who replied to this query, I appreciate your thoughts, comments and advice. I am taking a bit from everyone's replies and will weigh all those to the actual purchase of my next Sport Trac. I am not turned off or adverse to anything I have heard here, but am interested in the ones who can get me in touch with the X-plan scenarios. I know there are hidden costs somewhere, but if you don't know where they are, it is useless to go blindly into the purchase. Who has a PIN #/code to pass along? I would like to have that as a bargaining tool also! I knew I could find objectivity to whatever is the case, so I am taking it all in stride. THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU WHO RESPOND! ;)

That 100k warranty is sure appealing. But, just as you brought up in your initial post, I would like to know all the details and be aware of any pitfalls that would result by doing business from afar.

mrmarvyn,

Get me the VIN number of the Trac you are interested in. I can access the X-plan price via the Ford website to give you the X-Plan price.

Email it to me directly. I will need the dealerships ZIP code and the VIN number of the exact vehicle you are interested in buying.

Tom

PRM, at this moment I am still awaiting a reply from the VanBortel dealership relating to my query, I am giving them some additional time due to the lengthy e-mail I sent to them asking for particulars on buying from them and what the pricing may be, just to be sure.

TOM (Caymen), I built an 07 ST Limited on their website, just as I would want it, optionwise, but in theory it did not have a VIN number specifically assigned to it. It was basically a mocked up order just to post their (VanBortel's) pricing, and then it showed the invoice price, and lastly, the MSRP pricing, all in side-by-side comparisons. Thusly, you could see their price was $400 over invoice price. In saying that, they also GIVE you a FREE 100,000 Mile FORD FACTORY WARRANTY. So, in essence they are giving a better deal it would seem, since you are not paying whatever the FORD warranty would be costing you, in addition to the price of the vehicle you buy. I don't know much about the X Plan pricing, but if it is lower than the invoice, then it may affect the FREE warranty they(VanBortel) offer. I will e-mail you directly, Tom, and will discuss the X Plan information. Thanks!