chip vs programmable

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Q

Reaction score
Hey guys & gals.

I want to compare a performance chip to a programmer. What are the major differences?

Which is better overall?

i have a performance chip for my '05 ST, by Jet. and i am wondering how the Xcal will work instead of the chip?

Can i use both, neither?

Got Input!

Thanks

Most here will tell you that a programmer is the way to go. With it, you can have several different tunes from which to choose, it has data-logging capabilities, it reads/clears fault codes, and can be used with other vehicles if you get rid of your current ST.

I'd say that the programmers are more customizable.

- You can update the programmer and thus update the vehicle.

- It's extremely easy to use and doesn't require you to touch anything but the cable receptacle.

- You don't even have to pop the hood.

- No tool required

- Programmers can be used on a wider range of applications

- Many programmers can be used to change tires sizes, check codes etc. Chips can’t do this.

I’m sure there are more but that’s just what came to the top of my head.

Ok so i kind of thought the programmers were supierior to the chips. i guess I'm just TOO old school. lol.

Ok so which programmable is most recommended? is it the XCAL? Or which one is best?

SCT XCal 3. Click on the "Site Sponsors" link on the left. Check out either Bamachips or FastPartsNetwork. Both vendors can answer all your questions, provide you with the best deal on a tuner with custom tunes for your ST, and great customer service.

The jet is just a basic upgrade... if you have just an intake and exhaust you will be fine with the chip, but I would recommend the programmer hands down any time..

Todd Z

Right now all i have is the chip and a KKM intake setup. but i want to do the pulleys and an exhaust. Plus i just inquired on a larger tie size for my ST.

i think i read i would be able to calibrate the speedo with the Xcal, is this true? i havent decided on which size tire yet but i am leaning towards 265/75r16's or 255/70r16's.

Yes, you can recalibrate the speedo with the Xcal. Also, bear in mind that if you go with an XCal, you'll have to remove the chip you have currently installed in your vehicle.

Latest posts