Chipped Paint already :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was washing my truck this afternoon and noticed a spot already chipped on the front of the hood. Apparently something hit it because it left a little ding where the paint came off. It really sucks to have paint come off 6 months after you buy a vehicle. Argh. I guess it is time for touch up paint as bad as I hate it. I dont want to paint to continue to chip off from that spot.

Gotta love that! I'm in Pa. and with all the "anti-skid" they put on the roads I'm glad I've got a hood shield on the front. Still have the chips on the top of the hood from the rockets the trucks launch during the winter. I actually saw a truck put a piece of that crap up into the air about 20 yards in front of me on I-80 and it landed smack dab on the middle of my hood taking alittle chip of paint with it. Luckily no dent.;)

Un fortunately this is common in NY, every vehicle gets a free sandblasting of the front end !!!

Todd Z

Richard, what color Trac. I have one (1) bottle of Black touch up paint left, (Had three, bought three Tracs. One bottle came with each Trac I bought).

I suggest you take it to a professional shop (Carsmetics?) and have it repaired being such a new vehicle. If you try to fix it yourself with no experience you will never be satisfied and happy. Bite the bullet, eat the cost, get a hood protector and you will be happy again.

Thanks Coastie, but unfortunately it is white. I know I will never be happy if I touch it up, but I also know my wife won't be happy if I take it to a shop and spend too much getting it fixed either :). I have never been a fan of hood protectors. Here in Georgia it is not real common to get hood chips. I've had a few windshield catch a rock, but this is the first time in my 16 years of driving I have ever had the hood chipped. Honestly, I am not very happy at the size of paint that came off when it was such a minor ding. It really flaked quite a bit. Oh well, just have to deal with it.

Richard, I had a white 03 and I found the same problem, little rocks would take out huge chips of paint. The paint almost seemed brittle. The 01 harvest gold I had before wasn't nearly as bad, and the F150 I have now is the same as the 01 for chipping. I have a bottle of white touchup paint as well as a white touchup pen, you can have them for the price of shipping.

Guys, I have an 01, ordered from the factory in Island Blue. some months after the warranty had gone out, I had a spot on the hood, below the wipers, that started to chip and peel, and this was not a pebble or a rock. Seems as if it strated to bubble, then flake, then eventually stopped at about a quarter size area. Also, what about the grey painted/dyed? areas on the inside of the window sills that have turned a little whitish grey? Why not have done that door panel in a molded grey color instead of whatever process they used to color it? Is there a resolutin for this? Does anybody know of what I speak?

:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts