Chug a chug a chug

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a 2002 ST 4x2. I've always liked them, but just now getting one. It had a few issues that I knew about, but I liked the price and hopefully can overcome the issues. Here's the first one that's bugging me: When you first crank the truck and put it into gear, it will sit there and chug a chug a chug a, a quick surging and falling off in repeated succession if that makes sense. Once you drive off, everything smooths out and it idles fine thereafter. No more problem until the next shutdown and restart. No check engine light.

I am surprised that no one has checked in on this to help you. I would start with the air filter to make sure it is good; then Idle Air Control Motor (IACM) which there is a project on how to clean it; you might also have the battery checked to make sure it is good. Also, run a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner through a full tank of gas, and do the Seaform treatment (see project under maintenance).

Thanks R (&G). I ran out of time this weekend, so I'm just now getting around to looking at it again. I only had time this evening to check the air filter and the battery, both good. I bought the Seaform today, so hopefully I can do that or the IAC (or both) tomorrow evening (can't get it in the garage right now).

You may also want to go ahead and clean the Throttle Body while you are at it. There is also a project on how to do that. It's alot easier if you take it completely off. Wouldn't hurt to go ahead and do the MAF. This way you will have your bases covered.;)