Cleaned IAC, ST still almost stalling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Pierobon

Reaction score
Well I took Todd Z's project and cleaned the IAC motor, however it is still almost stalling when i start it up.:blink: the RPMs drop down to almost stalling and then right back up. Runs great other then that :D but only on start up will it do this:wacko:. Called Ford to bring it in, but any advice or work I could do before hand would be greatly appreciated.

I also looked at the tube that seems to crack. can't remember the name of it. As per my eyes, i can't see any cracks.

What else could it be? There is also no lights or indicators that come on in the dash.

thx in advance

Patrick Pierobon

P.S- Todd Z, great project and great instructions. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was doing the same as you described. I ended up cleaning around the throttle butterfly valve and that did the trick. Very simple to do. There was some buildup around where it seals and I think it had a hard time metering the airflow with the sticky, gooey stuff around where the air is passing through.

PRM,

How complicated is it to clean the throttle butterfly valve as you described? Is there a project created for it?

I recently cleaned the IAC to relieve the same problem Patrick mentioned above and it seems to have done the trick, but just in case it starts up again I'd like to go ahead and have a backup plan in place.

Thanks.

Easy way to do it would be to take the throttle body off, spray the flap down with carb cleaner, clean it off, then let it air dry. If you look at my project, you can see how to get the TB off.

Also just looking at the elbow doesnt do it, 90% of the time it cracks on the bottom....

Todd Z

Piro,

As Jeff said. Just take it off and spray with carb cleaner and wipe it off. Very easy. If your's is like mine was, you'll see the buildup on the outer edge of the butterfly and the housing. Once I cleaned that it idled smoothly immediately after starting. Before cleaning, it would occasionally cough and sputter before idleing correctly. I'll pull it in the garage tonight and take some pictures of the process.

Latest posts